Curtiss Jenny Restoration

Welcome! We hope you enjoy following the restoration process of a 1918 Curtiss JN4D Jenny. Once completed, the aeroplane will be flown and displayed at the Candler Field Museum in Williamson GA (30 miles south of Atlanta). You can contact me below by clicking on "VIEW MY PROFILE"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Peachtree City, Georgia, United States

Friday, January 31, 2014

Trim System

 Hello again,

Nothing happening on the Jenny lately.  We had unusually cold temperatures all month and it actually snowed in Georgia this week.  Of course, that paralyzed Atlanta.  No use buying snow plows when you only get an inch of snow once every other year.  So when it snows, the place shuts down.

But, it finally warmed up and I went back to work on the trim system.

Basically, a lever was installed on the seat rail and cables ran back through the fuselage.


It is a simple lever with a cable on the top and one on the bottom.  It pivots around a welded bolt and the wing nut provides tension on a Phenolic washer. 


 The cables are guided around the elevator horn.  There are two guides - one above the horn and one below.


OK, now we have the trim housings installed in the elevators and the trim lever in the cockpit.  The only thing left is to tie them together.  More on that soon.

I was fortunate to have a visitor the other day.  Andrew King was flying an Ercoupe between Long Island and Texas and stopped by to see me.


Andrew is a long time antique airplane nut who grew up (literally) at Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome.  He specializes in rebuilding and flying old airplanes and has flown Cole Palen's Jenny and several more too.  It was great catching up with him and I wished he could have stayed longer.

Lastly, I stumbled across this video of Jimmy Stewart with Johnny Carson on the Tonight Show from several years ago.  Jimmy tells the story of his first airplane ride - with a barnstormer in the 1930's.  The funniest part was his rather's reaction. 



We all know Jimmy had a distinguished flying career, but I didn't know he was wild about airplanes as a kid.

Many of you may have received an e-mail from me with a suspicious link.  If you did, don't open it!

I just found out Yahoo had the biggest breech of computer security ever seen.  Bellsouth is owned by Yahoo so my account was hacked.  I wonder what else they got?

It always saddens me to see people put so much energy into creating viruses.  Certainly their time could be more productive to mankind.

Oh, well.  I gotta go change passwords.

More soon

Brian

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home