Curtiss Jenny Restoration

Welcome! We hope you enjoy following the restoration process of a 1918 Curtiss JN4D Jenny. Once completed, the aeroplane will be flown and displayed at the Candler Field Museum in Williamson GA (30 miles south of Atlanta). You can contact me below by clicking on "VIEW MY PROFILE"

My Photo
Location: Peachtree City, Georgia, United States

Sunday, November 24, 2013

First taxi !!

Our museum is doing something really great.  We have started a youth mentor program whereas kids with an interest in aviation can meet at the museum two days a week and learn the art of antique aircraft restoration.  Museum volunteers show them how it's done and the kids get credit towards an A&P license.  They also have the option of working for flight time, an offer graciously donated by the Candler Field Flying Club.

Anyway, Yesterday I went to the first meeting to see what I could do. While I was there, Bill Hammond asked me when I planned on flying the Jenny.  From the picture below, you can tell my response.


The weather has not been great lately.  Low overcast skies.  And the wind was strong.
"Well, why not just taxi it around?" he asked.
"Good idea."

I was really fortunate to have six young, enthusiastic teens to help pull the Jenny out of the hangar.  Talk about a getting an introduction to aviation.  Hanging on to the wing strut of a Curtiss Jenny has to be the best experience you could ever get.

We pulled the airplane up to the runway.  Ron gave each primer cup four shots of prime.

Four lucky kids got to hold the wings as the rest watched from the side.

 Bill Hammond gave the prop a swing.  The Hisso ran on the first blade, but the guy in the back cockpit let the idle get too low (it was cold) and the engine stopped.  It took us a while, but we figured out the sequence and got it started again.

 Chocks pulled, the Jenny moved under it's own power.

 Down the runway and turned around.


Back to the starting point.

Ron was in the front seat and got his share of the taxiing.  At the top of the hill, he stopped, turned around, and yelled, "This is so cool."

I could not have agreed more.


So, we taxied down the runway again, this time getting a little more speed. 

Bill Hammond suggested this was a good time to run the engine at full power.


So, chocks were inserted and the wing holders were warned.


They were a lot colder than they looked!

"OK, we're ready."


I was pleased - the engine ran smoothly at full power!

 By now, everyone was plenty chilled, so we called it a day. 

Just waiting now for a day off work with corresponding good weather.  Then the first flight will occur.

Till then...


PS - all these photos were screen shots from a video taken by Scott Coile.  Hope to have that video posted soon.  I wasn't planning to pull the Jenny out of the hangar so I didn't even have my camera!


Post a Comment

<< Home