Curtiss Jenny Restoration

Welcome! We hope you enjoy following the restoration process of a 1918 Curtiss JN4D Jenny. Once completed, the aeroplane will be flown and displayed at the Candler Field Museum in Williamson GA (30 miles south of Atlanta). You can contact me below by clicking on "VIEW MY PROFILE"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Peachtree City, Georgia, United States

Friday, November 29, 2013

First Flight

The Jenny flies !!! 


We could not have asked for a better day for the first flight.  Calm winds.  Blue skies and cool temperatures. The Jenny flew great ! 

Here are a few videos taken by Nate Hammond and Brian Eberle.  This blog site uses Quick Time and I understand you can't see them using an iPad.  Sorry.  I'm not sure how to do it otherwise.   Let me post them on YouTube when I get a chance.

Anyway, here is a taxi video.  I was lucky to have an able ground crew - Bill, Nate and Clay Hammond,  Brian Eberle, Francois Devin, Ken Gulliford and others.


  video

And here is the takeoff.

video


"Just passing through...just passing through"

video

And the landing.

video



Then it was Ron's turn...


Two successful test flights.



I'm sure more photos will be arriving soon as people send them to me.  I was too busy to take my own pictures, so I must rely on the generosity of others.

Because it has been a seven and a half year restoration, I wanted to take a minute and look back.  Here goes:



















More soon.  Enjoy

Brian

9 Comments:

Blogger Al said...

Congratulations! I have been observing your long, patient work to build this wonderful plane that I think I felt the wind through my hair as you passed overhead.

What's next? A restored Swift Crusair would be fun for all of us.

Best Regards

Al

6:57 AM  
Blogger Brian Karli said...

Hi Al,

Yea, it was pretty cool! I'm not sure what I'm going to do next. I have a Bucker Jungmann that needs to be recovered. And I really want to build a Nieuport 11 bebe'. Perhaps an authentic Santos-Dumont Demoiselle for taxi only display. So, I'm not at a loss for things to o.

In the mean time, I want I fly the Jenny some more.

Cheers

BK

6:31 PM  
Blogger Steve said...

Congrats, Brian!!!


Steve K

8:20 PM  
Blogger Steve said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8:21 PM  
Blogger Steve said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8:21 PM  
Blogger recumbent conspiracy theorist said...

Congrats! Truly an epic accomplishment if there ever was one. I've only been following along the past year or two but I've loved every post. Very exciting these last few posts as you worked up to flight time. Thanks a lot for sharing the restoration in such detail. It was a great learning experience for me.
-Mike in Ohio

11:42 AM  
Blogger Brian Karli said...

Thanks Mike. I'm glad the blog is enjoyed. Cheers

BK

5:39 AM  
Blogger ben said...

Epic! Congrats.

7:52 PM  
Blogger Brian Karli said...

Thanks Ben. Good to hear from you. BK

2:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home