Curtiss Jenny Restoration

Welcome! We hope you enjoy following the restoration process of a 1918 Curtiss JN4D Jenny. Once completed, the aeroplane will be flown and displayed at the Candler Field Museum in Williamson GA (30 miles south of Atlanta). You can contact me below by clicking on "VIEW MY PROFILE"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Peachtree City, Georgia, United States

Sunday, September 29, 2013

"We are going to run the engine today"

Late last evening I came home from work and pulled the rattan poles out of the PVC pipe.  They had been soaking for 24 hours in water and a little fabric softener.  With little effort, the rattan slid easily around the jig.  I have this jig mislabeled - it should say wing skid bow jig but...hey...I was on a roll.


Jack and I put the logo on the left side of the airplane on Saturday.


 Jack also put safety wire on a few turnbuckles.


 "We are going to run the engine on Sunday", I said, telling all in earshot.

Jim Friedline graciously brought over his pressure pot so we could pre-oil the Hisso.


We put 40 PSI of oil pressure into the oil pressure line and pulled the prop through many rotations.  After running three quarts into the system, I was satisfied the bearings were coated with fresh oil.


 We pulled the airplane outside.  Engine noises were inevitable.  Ron filled the radiator with water.


And we sprung a leak!  We tried tightening the nut, but a crows foot wrench was needed and mine was back at the house.  Besides, I think the gasket might be bad.  The leak was still not enough to thwart our efforts at running the engine.  


 So, we added a few gallons of gas......and found a much worse leak at the bottom of the gas tank!  This really surprised me because I leak tested the tank before we installed it and it was dry as a bone outside.  Somehow, the lower soldered fitting must have shifted and a leak developed.


 Water leak...fuel leak...it was no longer a good time to run the engine.  So, we drained the fuel and opened the drain on the radiator.


 So much for the first engine run.



 

Am I disappointed?  Yes, but this is part of restoring an old airplane.  We pulled the Jenny back in the hangar.  The first engine run will have to wait till another day.

Good news from Kentucky.  Dorian Walker and crew taxied their Jenny up and down the runway.



They are "this close" to being ready to fly.  I know what you mean, Dorian.

Enjoy

Brian

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home