But unfortunately, a co-worker got sick and I need to fly his trips. He is a good guy, close friend, and he would cover for me if I got sick, so, I cancelled my vacation.
We still got some things done this weekend.
My wife graciously broke out her sewing machine and made the leather patches for the cable guides.
Originally, these patches were sewn to a larger piece of linen and the patch doped to the side of the fuselage. I didn't want a big, ugly, square patch on the side of our fuselage with brush strokes on an otherwise smoothly sprayed fuselage. So, we decided to make it look the same.
I had Cricket sew a perimeter bead so the leather patch looks like it was sewn to the fabric.
Then the patch was glued in place. This is the aileron pulley exit.
And the elevator cable exit.
A view of both elevator cable exits.
And the rubbing patch on the stabilizer.
When we bought the Hisso from Denny Trone, I noticed a nice set of cork gaskets installed under the valve cover. I was happy because the cork looked really nice.
But, when it came time to install the tachometer drive, the thick cork raised the valve cover too high. The drive shaft of the tach drive did not line up with the internal drive gear.
And cut out a new gasket.
The new gasket was installed. You can see the gear on the back of the camshaft which drives the tachometer shaft.
The alignment was perfect.
This is the face you make when you realize one of the pins inside the fuselage didn't have a cotter key.
And here is how you get to it!
I got a nice e-mail from Jenny owner and antique aircraft collector David Baumbach. He read Dave Trojan's article that I posted several blog entries ago, the one about the first use of a radio in the air.
Well, I found out that David had an original 1920's radio in his collection.