Curtiss Jenny Restoration

Welcome! We hope you enjoy following the restoration process of a 1918 Curtiss JN4D Jenny. Once completed, the aeroplane will be flown and displayed at the Candler Field Museum in Williamson GA (30 miles south of Atlanta). You can contact me below by clicking on "VIEW MY PROFILE"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Peachtree City, Georgia, United States

Monday, May 20, 2013

New prop hub and cowl

Just an update from the shop tonight - the newly manufactured prop hub from Rich Beinhauer arrived today!



I was blown away by the workmanship.  The hub is absolutely beautiful.


Even more so, it fit the prop perfectly.


 And the hub fit the shaft perfectly too. I just have to get some nuts for the prop bolts yet.  We also installed the back cockpit sheet metal.



 Right inside the sheet metal is a small wooden brace.  This piece of spruce is designed to strengthen the sheet metal right were the pilot puts his hands to get in and out of the cockpit.  Without this piece, the thin sheet metal would crush under the weight of even the smallest of pilots.


 The leather that surrounds the cockpit has been ordered and should be here by early next week.


 In case anyone was wondering, the Hisso uses Champion D-23 spark plugs.  I bought these at my local NAPA Auto parts store.  The guy behind the counter asked me what I was going to do with them.  I told him the plugs were for an old aeroplane and he replied "I figured it was something old. I have not sold plugs with big threads like this for a long time."


 

We pulled the rocker box cover to have a look at the tachometer drive.  The camshaft looked great.


 We had a clearance issue with the tach drive and I'm not sure how to solve it yet.  I believe the cork gasket is to blame.  The thick gasket causes the rocker box cover to stick up which causes an alignment issue with the tach drive shaft. I'll get back to you when we figure this one out.


Progress as of today.......



Enjoy

Brian

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home