Curtiss Jenny Restoration

Welcome! We hope you enjoy following the restoration process of a 1918 Curtiss JN4D Jenny. Once completed, the aeroplane will be flown and displayed at the Candler Field Museum in Williamson GA (30 miles south of Atlanta). You can contact me below by clicking on "VIEW MY PROFILE"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Peachtree City, Georgia, United States

Thursday, May 16, 2013

Exhaust and stuff


 I'm happy to say the exhaust has now been ceramic coated! Long time museum supporter Leo Roberson took on this task and drove the exhaust stacks to Performance Coatings in Jonesboro, GA.  

www.headercoatings.com



 Last night, I was busy with family stuff so Brian Eberle finished making the exhaust gaskets and installed the stacks. Oh, yea, we got the exhaust gasket material from Summit Racing.  The sell it in sheets.


 Today, I had a chance to install some of the cowlings.  Here is the front cockpit cowl with the windshield installed.  Just waiting for the upholstery shop to finish making the coaming.


 
 

Lastly, I'm always amazed when I meet nice people.  I placed an ad in barnstormers looking for a Hisso hub.  Kevin Connor was nice enough to let me borrow his hub and I wanted to make sure I could return it to him. I got a phone call from Rich Beinhauer in Elk Grove Village, Illinois. 

Did you ever just have a neat conversation with a neat person? Rich is restoring two Brunner Winkle Birds - an A model and a CK model. We chatted for a long time about old airplanes and people we knew. 

I found out Rich had made a Hisso hub for his airplane.  Better yet, he made a spare one too and was willing to let it go.


Rich is the owner of M&R Precision Machining.  From what I can tell, he certainly knows how to make prop hubs!  This was another case of good people helping others in aviation. 

The ad also introduced me to Paul Bierman who called me from his home in Alaska.  Paul tells the story of the picture below:

Here's a picture of the sad remains of a once mighty Hisso engine.  This is the engine I rescued from Valdez, Alaska where it was dumped many years ago on a vacant lot.  This engine was once owned by Owen Meals, the Alexander Eaglerock dealer for the area and was blasted by the tsunami which destroyed the town of Valdez during the 1964 Alaskan earthquake.  It's suffer a lot during it's years of exposure but I really didn't want to see it hauled off to the dump so I brought all the parts I could find back to Anchorage where they've resided in the backyard shed for many years.



Here is the only data plate on the engine.  From what I researched, Wright Martin bought an interest in the Simplex Automobile Company sometime around 1916. After a trip to France to study engines, they decided to build the Hispano-Suiza in the United States under license from the French government. Wright received a contract to build 450 Hisso's.  This engine must have been one of them.

What a neat story.  Thanks for sharing, Paul.

 I leave you with a few shots showing progress to date.  We are still shooting for a June 1st rollout.




Lastly, I am searching for four Curtiss OXX-6 cylinders !!

The OXX-6 was similar to the more commonly found OX-5 except that it had two magnetos rather than one and produced one hundred horsepower rather than ninety.


You would thing the cylinders are the same, but they are not.  TheOXX-6 cylinder is 1/4" larger in diameter and has 2 spark plugs on top.

If anyone knows where I can get four of them, I would really appreciate an email:
briankarli@bellsouth.net

More soon.  Off to the Bucker fly-in

Enjoy

Brian

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home