Curtiss Jenny Restoration

Welcome! We hope you enjoy following the restoration process of a 1918 Curtiss JN4D Jenny. Once completed, the aeroplane will be flown and displayed at the Candler Field Museum in Williamson GA (30 miles south of Atlanta). You can contact me below by clicking on "VIEW MY PROFILE"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Peachtree City, Georgia, United States

Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Jenny movie in post-production

I just got an email from filmmaker Dorian Walker.  His Jenny documentary is now in post-production and should be done soon.  Below is a link to see a nine minute clip of the movie:



 Dorian also sent pictures of his Jenny.  It should be finished right before the movie!



I apologize for the absence of posts - I spent a week down with the flu, flew a long trip at work and the landing gear / brake conversion on my Bucker Jungmann is taking a lot longer than I anticipated.  But that is the way it goes.

Progress on the Jenny will continue soon.  In the mean time, historian Dave Trojan asked a question I could not definitively answer.  He found some pictures of Jennies with machine guns. I explained the way the interrupter gear worked so the pilot did not shoot off his own propeller.  But what I noticed in this picture is the myriad of lines leading to the gun.  Originally, interrupter gears were mechanical - cams and rods.  Later, I remember reading that they figured out how to do it hydraulically.


Are these lines hydraulic?  Pneumatic? What about that pump on the side of the fuselage?

Secondly, here is a picture of a Jenny with a rear gunner.  Again, I explained how there was a ring that raised and lowered the gun automatically to prevent the gunner from shooting off his own tail.  But this Jenny does not have that ring. And the gun does not have a barrel.


Could it be some sort of a training camera?

I was hoping someone out there could answer these questions.  If you know the answer, email me at briankarli@bellsouth.net and I will forward the answers to Dave.

More soon...I promise

Brian



3 Comments:

Blogger FlyBoyJon said...

Greetings Brian,

There is a barrel is shrouded in a cooling tube. These old guns were liquid cooled. some of the lines in the first picture would be cooling lines to the reservoir. In the second picture it is hard to see the barrel which is in the 6-o-clock position of the cooling tube.

~FlyBoyJon

11:45 AM  
Blogger Brian Karli said...

John.

That explains it.

Perhaps I should install a similar set up on our Jenny! Kidding.

Thanks for the information.

Brian

5:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brian -

The first shot with the Vickers is of a Constantinesco-Colly interrupter gear. Check this thread - http://www.theaerodrome.com/forum/aircraft/58234-can-anyone-help-me-identify-photo.html

The second, I have to disagree with FlyBoyJon. The cooling jackers were universally removed for Lewis in aircraft. They did alot of aerial gunnery training at Eberts though and I am fairly certain this is a camera gun. You can see on the guns left (our right) side near the breach a box that would hold the film/small plates. It looks something like the English Thornton & Pickard camera gun.

-Mike
njaviators@aol.com

1:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home