Exhaust pipes and Wing Walk
A poster board pattern was made using some basic math. Here is the situation: a cone needs to be made that is 26 inches long and starts with a 2 in diameter and ends with a 3.5 in diameter. The front of the pattern was cut to 6.28 in. (Diameter or 2 x 3.14) and the bottom of the pattern was cut to 11 inches (Diameter of 3.5 x 3.14).
Once the pattern was checked on the jig, it was transferred to some .025 sheet steel. Here is where you want to add about 1/4 in onto the sides for overlap. You will see why in a minute.
Before putting the steel into the slip roller, take a mallet and round the ends. The slip roller cannot make a curve on the first or last inch.
Then start rolling.
As you go, adjust the rollers to give you a deeper curve. Tighten one more than the other to give you a cone shape.
When you have the shape you want, remove the steel and put it in your jig. This is why you added a little material to the sides. With some tin snips, cut a straight line. Mark the steel underneath. Cut it also. When you are done, you should have two matching seams.
Then weld the entire seam.
Here is the cone attached to the elbow.
A trial fit.
The old exhaust is slightly different. But I used its dimensions to fabricate the new exhaust.
This is the exhaust I am trying to replicate. It is flying on the Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome Jenny.
There is a lot more exhaust work to do yet, but this is a good start.
Last night, Leo Roberson stopped by the shop asking if he could "do anything". Knowing his talents, I put him to work making the wing walk.
The step gets a little bit of the diamond tread too.
Brian Eberle made two new tail wires.
OK, I'm going to go out on a limb here -
The Jenny will be on display at the Candler Field Museum's Vintage Day event on June 1st, 2013.
It won't be ready to fly, but it will be awfully close. We plan on having the wings attached, cowlings on, prop attached...there I said it. Now we have to make due on our promise.
More soon. Enjoy.