Curtiss Jenny Restoration

Welcome! We hope you enjoy following the restoration process of a 1918 Curtiss JN4D Jenny. Once completed, the aeroplane will be flown and displayed at the Candler Field Museum in Williamson GA (30 miles south of Atlanta). You can contact me below by clicking on "VIEW MY PROFILE"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Peachtree City, Georgia, United States

Wednesday, February 27, 2013

After much contemplation, I pulled the copper fuel lines out of the airplane.  I was having the old "original versus safety" debate in my mind and decided it was best to not take any chances.  The Jenny originally used copper fuel lines. I installed them for that reason but several people predicted all the problems I would have - copper lines gets brittle, they cracks, all your fuel pours out and you catch fire.  I resisted their advise.  After all, I put copper lines in a Stearman 25 years ago and they are still working fine.  But after thinking about it, I changed my mind.  We are talking fuel lines here. In this case, safety must take precedence over originality.  Aluminum lines might not be original, but they are a lot safer.  So, out came the copper lines.


Using some 3003 tubing, new lines were made.


I still have a few more lines to make (between the gascolator and the fuel tank) but you get the idea.


I went and bought the fittings to complete the job.  That will be next week's work.

In the mean time, I was reading the Hisso manual and realized that I was wrong.


Ah ha!  he water coming out of the jacket does not go into the copper tee and into the radiator.  So, where is this intake side of the water pump they are talking about?


 Found it.  All this time I thought this blue fitting was a drain.  It really is the water jacket return port.



So now I have to run a line from the jacket to this port, eliminate the copper tee and make a one piece water line.  Hope to accomplish that this weekend.

Till then, enjoy

Brian


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home