Curtiss Jenny Restoration

Welcome! We hope you enjoy following the restoration process of a 1918 Curtiss JN4D Jenny. Once completed, the aeroplane will be flown and displayed at the Candler Field Museum in Williamson GA (30 miles south of Atlanta). You can contact me below by clicking on "VIEW MY PROFILE"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Peachtree City, Georgia, United States

Tuesday, January 08, 2013

update

Well, we got the water pump to radiator line installed.


And ran the water temp line and ignition wires on the left side of the fuselage.


Here you can see the oil temp bulb in the side of the engine case.


After some good advise, I decided to change the oil pressure line.  Now a flexible hose runs from the firewall all the way to a barb fitting on the pickup.  No copper lines from the firewall forward anymore.


On to other things......

Dorian Walker just sent me a link to this site:

http://www.joebaugher.com/usaf_serials/1908-1920.html

This is a cool website which lists every serial number of every airplane in the USAF inventory between 1908 and 1920. 

Dorian also sent me a website listing all the Jenny accidents prior to 1920.  Interesting reading!

http://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/dblist.php?AcType=jn4&page=1

In my last post, you might remember my friend John Saunders sending pictures about his SE5 / Hisso project in New Zealand.  John was looking for a source of new Hisso bearings. I didn't know where to get them, but thankfully Jenny owner Frank Shelling had been down this road before and was willing to help.


Frank wrote:

To answer your question about the thrust bearing: The bearing was not plated. I get mine rebuilt at the following business:


Bearing Manufacturing Company
1033 N. Kulmar Ave.
Chicago, Ilinois 60651
Attention: QC Department
(773) 278-6201
They regrind the races and fit in oversize balls in a new brass carrier  A very nice job.




I also got an e-mail from my friend Steve Beaver who owns a beautiful LOM powered Bucker Jungmann in Ohio.  Steve came across a bunch of "daredevil" photos that you might enjoy.  His favorite (and mine) was this picture of two cowboys playing cards on the Jenny center section. 

 


Notice the really long Hisso exhaust stack. That was probably made so the wing walker wouldn't get a face full of hot exhaust when he climbed out of the cockpit.

http://www.environmentalgraffiti.com/news-crazy-people-1920s-airplane-stunts?image=0

That must have been a crazy time back then.  No rules.  Fly however, wherever and whoever you want.  Of course, the mortality rate reflected this.




Lastly, you model makers amaze me.  Check out Steve Kessenger's Jenny model.


Steve says:   My Jenny model is at a slight standstill while I try to figure out a cowling issue, and I've also been busy building my Progressive Aerodyne SeaRey.


Gota love all this Jenny stuff. I'll post more of Dave Trojan's stuff in the next post.  This one is long enough.

Cheers

Brian

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home