Curtiss Jenny Restoration

Welcome! We hope you enjoy following the restoration process of a 1918 Curtiss JN4D Jenny. Once completed, the aeroplane will be flown and displayed at the Candler Field Museum in Williamson GA (30 miles south of Atlanta). You can contact me below by clicking on "VIEW MY PROFILE"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Peachtree City, Georgia, United States

Tuesday, January 01, 2013

Instrument hookups

You know, master model builder Jim Landon emailed me and said I never published a full shot of the instrument panel.  He was right!  So, here you go.


Today, Ron picked up the new lazer cut exhaust flanges made by a local company in Griffin, GA.  More on this when we start building the exhaust manifold, but for now, I was glad to see them.



When I started running all the wires and lines from the instrument panel to the engine compartment, I wanted to stay true to the 1917 era.  They didn't have plastic tie wraps back then, so I thought brass safety wire would suffice.  I wasn't happy about this set up, and my suspicions were confirmed by an observant Mike Damiami  back in Pennsylvania.


Mike mentioned that putting a soft copper line next to a steel braided temperature line was not a great idea.  Any vibration would cause them to rub (even if you think they are secured) and the soft copper would eventually give way.  Considering this is an oil pressure line....well, you get the idea.  So, I rerouted the temperature line to the other side and left the copper one alone.


Mike also suggested using rib stitch cord rather than brass wire to secure the bundles.  I did just that.


On another note, I heard from my friend John Saunders in New Zealand.  John is building a Hisso powered SE5 and sent a few pictures of their engine progress.  John writes:

We've been busy pulling the barrels out of the banks ( actually worked out well - we made up a big old hot oil bath and a decent tool - and machined up new barrels ) and working thru the rest of the engine now - it's in decent shape really.  Also having new pistons made at Ross pistons in LA.



Dorian Walker also sent progress pictures of their Jenny.


The sheet metal is under way!


Dorian wrote: Here is a picture of Phillip Willis, who interpreted the original drawings you sent to CAD and then manufactured all the wing pieces. Today he saw the results of all his hard work. He and his young daughter signed the wing.



Lastly, I'd like to publish a few more vintage photos from Dave Trojan:

 

Don't forget about the ground crew.  Someone has to swing the prop!   This is Pvt Axel Lindstrard at Payne Field, MS in 1919


Not good!


Even worse!


 First plane in Deland, Florida. Glad it was a Jenny.



 More soon.  Enjoy

Brian


1 Comments:

Blogger Al said...

This is the best site I have ever viewed. Thanks for going the extra mile (statute mile?) to share your adventure with us.

I wish the security was easier to get through.

Al

6:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home