Curtiss Jenny Restoration

Welcome! We hope you enjoy following the restoration process of a 1918 Curtiss JN4D Jenny. Once completed, the aeroplane will be flown and displayed at the Candler Field Museum in Williamson GA (30 miles south of Atlanta). You can contact me below by clicking on "VIEW MY PROFILE"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Peachtree City, Georgia, United States

Sunday, December 30, 2012

Fuel pump and oil pressure line

We had a pretty productive couple of days lately.   The water pump was installed, the bolts tightened and everything lubricated.  Plus, the water temp pickup and hose reducer was welded.


Then the oil pressure gauge was hooked up.


The copper tube was given a loop to help absorb any vibration.  Copper tube is soft, but there have been instances of cracking and I have no desire to spring a leak in an oil line!


The copper tube was secured along the bottom of the upper longeron.  The other line is the oil temperature bulb.


The oil temperature line was longer than needed, so the excess was coiled up here.


This is the oil pressure pickup.  Again, I was worried about vibration on the copper line so I put a length of hose from the firewall to the pickup.


The fuel pump was installed too.  The gear was given a generous coat of Lubriplate grease and the bolts tightened.  This shows the inlet fitting.  The fuel hose will come from the firewall to here.

 
This is the other side of the pump.  The fuel line will go from this fitting to the carburetor.


During this time, I got a visit from my friend Ken Gulliford.  He and his son Ron spent a  lovely couple of hours at the shop.  Ken built a beautiful scale model of a Jenny several years ago and he flies it regularly near his home in Charleston, South Carolina. 


In the mail, I received a CD from aviation archeologist David Trojan.  It was filled with stories and pictures from his research on Payne Field, Mississippi. Over time, I hope to share most of them with you here.  Believe me, they are interesting.

To start, I chose this picture of a "typical flying officer" at Payne Field.


You gotta love the warning on the side of the Jenny!


I thought this one was neat too.   Notice the Jenny has no windshields.  It is a Hisso Jenny and it looks like it has mounting brackets for a machine gun in front of the front cockpit.  I bet the structure on the side is an ammunition chute.  It also has a long exhaust.


Of course, being a training base, there were a lot of crash photos.   This aviator looks pretty happy to have survived.



 This one was part of the collection, although not part of Payne Field.  I bet the cat on the radiator got a big surprise when that guy swung the propeller!



This one shows the repair shop. I like the Jenny on the left, and the wing struts hanging on the wall, but I also like the rotary powered Avro 504 on the right.


I sure wish this was my hangar.


Anyway, Dave sent me lots more pictures and stories.  That's enough for one night.

More soon.  Enjoy

Brian

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home