Curtiss Jenny Restoration

Welcome! We hope you enjoy following the restoration process of a 1918 Curtiss JN4D Jenny. Once completed, the aeroplane will be flown and displayed at the Candler Field Museum in Williamson GA (30 miles south of Atlanta). You can contact me below by clicking on "VIEW MY PROFILE"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Peachtree City, Georgia, United States

Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Visit with Jack

In my absence, Ron got the last coat of polytone on the wings.  Everything is now painted !!!


One of the bad things about working a lot is that progress on the Jenny slows down.  However, one of the good things about working a lot is you get layovers in Tulsa, Oklahoma.  It was there that fellow Jenny restorer Kevin Connor introduced me to his neighbor - Jack Kearbey


Jack had built a Hisso powered SE5 and flew it over 100 hours.  Armed with a list of questions, I spent the day with Jack and he patiently answered each one.

One if the questions I had for Jack was how the prop hub was kept from turning once torqued in place. Our E2 Hisso prop hub was different than all the "A" models and "I" models, and I could not figure out how they locked it in place.  Jack showed me how they did it back in 1918:


 He also showed me the wrenches he built to tighten the two prop hub nuts. I gotta build these when I get home.


Jack has sold his SE5 recently to a man in Germany.  But his time is not wasted.  Jack is close to finishing a Sopwith Pup.  He only needs a rotary engine to complete it.


I can not thank Jack enough for sharing his knowledge.  He answered all the questions on my sheet of paper but in the process, created a few hundred more!  I'm sure as I proceed with our Hisso installation, I will call Jack on a regular basis. 

Enjoy

Brian

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home