Curtiss Jenny Restoration

Welcome! We hope you enjoy following the restoration process of a 1918 Curtiss JN4D Jenny. Once completed, the aeroplane will be flown and displayed at the Candler Field Museum in Williamson GA (30 miles south of Atlanta). You can contact me below by clicking on "VIEW MY PROFILE"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Peachtree City, Georgia, United States

Saturday, November 24, 2012

Tail is on!

I felt like doing something other than soldering wires yesterday, so I cut a piece of one inch aluminum stock...


....and put it in a lathe. I turned down the shank enough to fit inside a 1 in. tube.


Then the center was drilled.


And tapped for a 5/8 in 18NPT fitting. 


It fit s into the tube nicely.


 Why am I doing this?  Well, the water pump outlet is 1 1/2 inches and the radiator outlet is 1 inch.  I need a reducer somewhere in the line.  I also needed a place to insert a water temperature bulb. So, I combined everything into one.  Off to the tig welder!


I also began installing the tail feathers.






These hinges are original Canuck fittings.  They are different than the JN4D, but I had a complete set, they were original, and I liked them.  Notice the reinforcing plates are held in place by small #2 brass screws.





More soon.  Enjoy

BK

2 Comments:

Blogger recumbent conspiracy theorist said...

Love the lathe work, thanks for including the pics. I don't have a metal lathe but I did some metal turning a while back using my old craftsman wood lathe to make a hub for an amateur radio project. capacitance hat hub If you click the "40 meter vertical" label at the bottom of the post it will display only the posts about this antenna I built.

Enjoying your work on the Jenny.

-Mike

3:46 PM  
Blogger Brian Karli said...

Thanks, Mike. I guess we are all machinists at heart!

6:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home