Curtiss Jenny Restoration

Welcome! We hope you enjoy following the restoration process of a 1918 Curtiss JN4D Jenny. Once completed, the aeroplane will be flown and displayed at the Candler Field Museum in Williamson GA (30 miles south of Atlanta). You can contact me below by clicking on "VIEW MY PROFILE"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Peachtree City, Georgia, United States

Thursday, September 13, 2012

wing struts

For a change of pace, I brought the wing struts home and wet sanded them with some 220 grit sandpaper.


I had the local sign shop make me some vinyl numbers to match the style of the original Curtiss strut numbers.  You can see an original strut on the right used as a pattern.


Paul Dougherty had some Curtiss factory logo decals made for his Jenny project and I got his spare set. The factory put their logo on the wing struts, cabane struts, king post struts, landing gear struts and landing gear airfoil.  They were originally stencils, but with decal technology, they look the same and are much easier to make.
Here is strut #3


And a close up of the decal.


This is how I know they used stencils back then.  This is the Curtiss logo I restored last year.  From what I can tell, there were two sizes - small (like what I used) and the large ones with the letters paralleling the grain.


All the decals in place


This is the second varnish coat.


King post struts


Once everything dries, I'll lightly sand again and put the final (3rd) varnish coat.


More soon...Enjoy

Brian

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home