Curtiss Jenny Restoration

Welcome! We hope you enjoy following the restoration process of a 1918 Curtiss JN4D Jenny. Once completed, the aeroplane will be flown and displayed at the Candler Field Museum in Williamson GA (30 miles south of Atlanta). You can contact me below by clicking on "VIEW MY PROFILE"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Peachtree City, Georgia, United States

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Fuselage step

It was raining today, so I couldn't spray anything.  So, I decided a good rainy day project was to make the step that goes on the side of the fuselage.  Frank Shelling was kind enough to lend me his extra step, so I copied it onto a piece of .032 aluminum.


To cut out the inside, a pilot hole was made...


...and tin snips used to remove the material.   The hole was smoothed with a file and sandpaper.


The ridge was bent over a steel bar.  A patterned tread will screw onto this piece as it sits on the top of the lower longeron.


The outside cut, filed and sanded.


Holes were drilled for the four mounting screws and the lacing.


Remember this machine?


The finished step.


This is where it will go.


Before the rain came, Ron and Brian wet sanded the fuselage and sprayed another coat of silver.


They also did some taping on the lower wing, and I added more tapes today.


Enjoy

Brian

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home