Curtiss Jenny Restoration

Welcome! We hope you enjoy following the restoration process of a 1918 Curtiss JN4D Jenny. Once completed, the aeroplane will be flown and displayed at the Candler Field Museum in Williamson GA (30 miles south of Atlanta). You can contact me below by clicking on "VIEW MY PROFILE"

My Photo
Location: Peachtree City, Georgia, United States

Saturday, September 29, 2012


The turtledeck is now blue too...!

This evening, Brian Eberle joined me and we did some more taping on the right lower wing:


I also got two cross coats of poly sprayed on the right upper wing.

Lastly, I stumbled across this picture of Wally Olsen's old Jenny now proudly displayed  at the Columbia Gorge Interpretive Center Museum just outside of Portland, Oregon.

According to the website, the Jenny is on loan from the Wally Olsen Family Trust.  It looks pretty good hanging there.

More soon


Friday, September 28, 2012

more fabric work!

Ron and John Kuck finished taping the ribs the other night.  One step closer....!

And more poly brush was sprayed onto the left upper wing.  It is now ready for silver.

More soon.


Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Last wing being taped

Brian Eberle reports that he and Ron started taping the last wing while I was away at work.

We're getting close!


Saturday, September 22, 2012

Spraying the fuselage

 As of this evening...the fuselage is blue!

Just to give you an idea of what the burnished cowl will look like against the Bahama Blue fuselage.

Our youngest son Brighton came to the shop tonight to assist Ron and I with the taping.

This lower wing is now taped and ready for poly brush.

Ron also sprayed white on the turtledeck.  After some wet sanding, it will be blue.

More soon...enjoy


Friday, September 21, 2012

wing and aileron

Here is the result of three cross coats of Poly Brush.  Ready for silver.

More soon


Thursday, September 20, 2012

fueslage painting

While I was away working, Ron sprayed the fuselage a cross coat of white.  This is done as a base for the blue finish color.

A test panel was sprayed blue just to make sure we like the color.  We do!

The fuselage should be blue very soon.  Till then, I came across a picture of  Ben Epps, an early Georgia Aviator.  Enjoy the picture:

More soon


Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Fuselage step

It was raining today, so I couldn't spray anything.  So, I decided a good rainy day project was to make the step that goes on the side of the fuselage.  Frank Shelling was kind enough to lend me his extra step, so I copied it onto a piece of .032 aluminum.

To cut out the inside, a pilot hole was made...

...and tin snips used to remove the material.   The hole was smoothed with a file and sandpaper.

The ridge was bent over a steel bar.  A patterned tread will screw onto this piece as it sits on the top of the lower longeron.

The outside cut, filed and sanded.

Holes were drilled for the four mounting screws and the lacing.

Remember this machine?

The finished step.

This is where it will go.

Before the rain came, Ron and Brian wet sanded the fuselage and sprayed another coat of silver.

They also did some taping on the lower wing, and I added more tapes today.



Sunday, September 16, 2012


John Gaertner (owner of Blue Swallow Aircraft Co.) came by this weekend and graciously offered to help tape the wings.

John Kuck also spent the day with us.

 Since the weather was nice, I gave the first wing was given three coats of poly brush.

And an aileron, too.

Ron rolled the fuselage outside and sprayed three coats of clear poly brush...

And sprayed the first coats of silver poly spray.

It's silver!!

The fuselage is ready for the first wet sanding.  Then more silver, more sanding, a coat of base white and the final blue color.

More soon



Thursday, September 13, 2012

wing struts

For a change of pace, I brought the wing struts home and wet sanded them with some 220 grit sandpaper.

I had the local sign shop make me some vinyl numbers to match the style of the original Curtiss strut numbers.  You can see an original strut on the right used as a pattern.

Paul Dougherty had some Curtiss factory logo decals made for his Jenny project and I got his spare set. The factory put their logo on the wing struts, cabane struts, king post struts, landing gear struts and landing gear airfoil.  They were originally stencils, but with decal technology, they look the same and are much easier to make.
Here is strut #3

And a close up of the decal.

This is how I know they used stencils back then.  This is the Curtiss logo I restored last year.  From what I can tell, there were two sizes - small (like what I used) and the large ones with the letters paralleling the grain.

All the decals in place

This is the second varnish coat.

King post struts

Once everything dries, I'll lightly sand again and put the final (3rd) varnish coat.

More soon...Enjoy