Everything looked good, so on went the silver spray.
Two coats of Poly Spray - time to wet sand.
While Ron was spraying, Brian and I put some Poly Brush in the areas that will get a 2 inch tape.
We also finished trimming the fuselage edges and gave the fabric a final shrink to 350 degrees.
Brian said it reminded him of a big canoe.
A thunderstorm arose outside which curtailed the spraying so we decided to start covering the center section. First, the wires were given a final coat of linseed oil and the turnbuckles were secured with safety wire.
We started by Poly Tacking the bottom of the top...if that makes sense. Since this is part of the upper wing, we wanted the seam to be on the top. After the glue dried, the edge was trimmed flush.
Then wrap the fabric over the top, around the trailing edge and back forward. With a chalk line, mark about 1 inch up from the leading edge. Why a chalk line rather than a pencil line? You will see in a minute.
You want to use a chalk line because can see the blue line when you wrap the fabric over the leading edge. This is your glue line. After applying a bead of poly tack, here is a neat trick to make a clean, crisp edge.
First, paint some poly tack on top of the blue line. This will encapsulate the fibers and the edges will not fray when you cut them off.
If you run the edge of the razor along the line, you will cut through both layers of fabric. That would be terrible. So here is a better way.
Put the edge of the razor along the line. Hold it firmly and pull the loose end of the fabric. It makes a really nice edge!
We started gluing the sides, but that was enough for one night and we called it a day.