Curtiss Jenny Restoration

Welcome! We hope you enjoy following the restoration process of a 1918 Curtiss JN4D Jenny. Once completed, the aeroplane will be flown and displayed at the Candler Field Museum in Williamson GA (30 miles south of Atlanta). You can contact me below by clicking on "VIEW MY PROFILE"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Peachtree City, Georgia, United States

Saturday, July 14, 2012

rear windshield and disassembly

 Well the elevators, rudder and fin are now silver!




This is three cross coats of silver Poly Spray.  It is used for UV protection and also builds up the weave and makes it smooth.  Next step is wet sanding and another three coats.

The rear windshield was riveted today.




 That was the last thing I needed to do.  Now, it is time to cover the fuselage!

So, everything came off - cowling, radiator, cabane struts, center section, seats, instrument panels...it looks kinda weird this way.  I got used to seeing it all together.  Tomorrow we will pull the engine out of the beds.  Then the gear comes off. And the fabric goes on.


Pretty exciting.

I wanted to share with you pictures sent to me by model builder Anthony Hixson.  He writes:

Hi Brian,
  I am attaching a few pics of Randy Charles's scratch built 1/3 Jenny. He flew it at my R/C clubs Father's Day Fly-in. The Jenny flew very scale and looked great in the air. The American Flags on the struts are a nice touch.
 Enjoy the pics.
  Anthony







Thanks, Anthony.  I like the flags on the struts too.  Wonder what that would look like on a full scale Jenny? Anyone know where I could find one.....

Enjoy

Brian

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home