Curtiss Jenny Restoration

Welcome! We hope you enjoy following the restoration process of a 1918 Curtiss JN4D Jenny. Once completed, the aeroplane will be flown and displayed at the Candler Field Museum in Williamson GA (30 miles south of Atlanta). You can contact me below by clicking on "VIEW MY PROFILE"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Peachtree City, Georgia, United States

Sunday, July 15, 2012

Covering and curved tapes

Tonight turned out to be a beautiful evening for fabric work - low humidity and warm temperatures. So, Ron, Brian and I wet sanded the tail surfaces with 320 grit sandpaper.  It did not take much sanding.  Just enough to smooth the edges of the tapes.


 

 Then, two cross coats were sprayed on the surfaces.  Yea, go ahead and make fun of my painting suit. I don't care.  It works for me.


In my youth, when I learned fabric work, I was taught to use bias tapes around curved edges.  All you had to do was pull on the tape and it flexed around the curve without much fuss.  Quick and easy.  The only bad part about a biased tape was when it shrunk around the curve, the tape width got thinner.  So if you were laying a 2 inch tape, it would shrink to 1 3/4 in.  Oh well.  That's the way it was....

But Ron showed me a better way tonight. 

He took a regular tape and glued the center line with  some Poly Tack.


When the Poly Tack was dry,  the tape was shrunk around the curve. 



Start shrinking at the 250 degree mark, then final shrink at 320.  Put a piece of thin cardboard under the tape to act as a heat sink.

Hey, wait a minute.  Shrinking the tape at the curve.  Doesn't that make it smaller?  Might as well use bias tape, right?


No!  Ron had us shrink the straight pieces too. Now the curve and the straight tape are all shrunk the same amount.  The tapes are even.  Pretty neat trick and much more professional looking.


No more bias tape for me.


After everything was shrunk, the tapes were Poly Brushed to the fabric.


Lastly, we pulled the Hisso out of the fuselage and removed the turtledeck.  Just about ready to apply fuselage fabric.


More soon.  Enjoy

Brian

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home