Curtiss Jenny Restoration

Welcome! We hope you enjoy following the restoration process of a 1918 Curtiss JN4D Jenny. Once completed, the aeroplane will be flown and displayed at the Candler Field Museum in Williamson GA (30 miles south of Atlanta). You can contact me below by clicking on "VIEW MY PROFILE"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Peachtree City, Georgia, United States

Tuesday, May 08, 2012

Wing doping and Louver braces


 The rib stitching is done !!  Ron also got the first coat of Poly Brush on the wing.

Interestingly, I found this picture on the internet.  It looks like a factory worker is applying dope with a big brush.  I guess all Jennies had the dope applied in this manner.  Imagine all the brush marks!  Ron and I were contemplating - when did they first start spraying dope?  Anybody know?


This is how they painted the US Army markings - with a brush!


Back to the present time - I drilled the holes for the louver brackets.  They are spaced 2 inches from each end and one hole in the center.


 Here is a bracket cleco'ed in place.  See how it reinforces the louver?


 This is one of the brackets.


 People often ask me how they built so many Jennies in so little time.  I have been working on this ONE for six and a half years.  Well...these pictures might tell the answer.  They threw manpower at it!

This gal probably spent eight hours a day, six days a week nailing the plywood reinforcement pieces on the wing ribs.


 This guy built fitting after fitting.....


 I count eight men assembling a wing......


 I bet this crew could true a fuselage in a few minutes....


 Yup...


 Hand carving a propeller....


 Making a spar by hand - 1916 style....


Enjoy

Brian

4 Comments:

Anonymous Jim Landon said...

I continue to enjoy your blog Brian - check every day to see if there's a new entry - even though my model will not get the sheet metal or fabric. ... Really appreciated the old photos today too. ... Thanks for including them.

Jim Landon
President and CEO
Denver Brian Karli Fan Club

5:12 PM  
Blogger Al said...

None of those folks in the old pictures seem to be enjoying the work as much as you and your friends do. I believe that the joy of building a machine like yours comes very close to the joy of actually flying it when it is finished.

Al Luedecke

2:30 PM  
Blogger ben said...

I readily located an Air Service Information Circular (Vol 1, No 44, July 30, 1920) which stated the first coat of dope is always brushed on. I think that is still the practice. Then, plan on 2-4 coats of dope and then 2 coats of pigmented dope. It recommend spraying the pigmented dope if air pressure is available to do so.

I really don't think they considered spraying and sanding until the grain of the fabric was no longer visible. I've done that several times and I say never again. Get it sealed, protected, and colored. Most of the fabric swatches I have from that era, weren't that smooth. What cared by aerodynamics with that beast?

It was interesting that the dope then was cellulose based -- no wonder it burned so well.

7:29 PM  
Blogger Brian Karli said...

Al and Jim,

Thanks for the kind words. Yes, I am expecting to have "builders withdrawal" when the Jenny is finished, but there are a lot of other projects on my list...!

Ben,

Yes, good observation. I was wondering when spraying dope became popular. Did they do it at the Curtiss factory back in 1916? Or did they just brush everything on?

Cheers

BK

8:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home