Curtiss Jenny Restoration

Welcome! We hope you enjoy following the restoration process of a 1918 Curtiss JN4D Jenny. Once completed, the aeroplane will be flown and displayed at the Candler Field Museum in Williamson GA (30 miles south of Atlanta). You can contact me below by clicking on "VIEW MY PROFILE"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Peachtree City, Georgia, United States

Monday, May 28, 2012

Windshield copper frame

 Ah, the copper windshield frame - much head scratching here.  I thought long and hard about how to make the copper fit the frame.  I cut a few strips and tried bending it around using various methods but all I did was frustrate myself.

So, I did what I usually do when don't go my way - I called Paul Dougherty at the Golden Age Air Museum and asked how he made his Jenny windshield frames.  Paul made a steel windshield pattern, but after talking about it, we decided the copper could be formed right on top of the soft Lexan.


First, I cut a copper strip  bigger than needed and bent a 5/16 in flange on one side.


 On the flange side, I used the shrinker to make the curve.


Then, the flange side was tapped with a ball peen hammer to form the 10 oz. copper around the Lexan.


It would have been so simple to just bend a straight piece onto both sides of the windshield, but Curtiss  didn't do that!  The copper got wider at the bottom.


 The angle was measured and marked.


 And the excess copper was cut away with a tin snips.


Next, the front part of the copper was formed around the outside of the Lexan.


This really did not take that long before the copper was formed smoothly around the curve.


Then the little #40 holes were drilled around the perimeter.


The frames were trimmed and the next step is to replace the cleco's with rivets.


 I started messing with the front frame when I ran out of time for the day.


Good news - the tachometer came back with a clean bill of health!  I sent the tachometer to Bill's Speedometer Shop and they cleaned the tachometer and got it working for a nominal fee.  They also built the tach cable and the 2:1 reduction drive.  I was extremely pleased with their work and I would recommend their services.  However, they can only build cables for Experimental and Replica aircraft, not certified stuff and of course old cars.  For those of you crazy enough like me to build a Jenny, here is the info:

 Bill's Speedometer Shop
c/o Bill Heidemann
2945 Bridlewood Dr.
Sidney OH 45365

Phone: 937-492-7800
Cell: 937-726-2136

email: wheidemann@woh.rr.com
 

http://www.bills-speedometer.com/


 Lastly, I had the pleasure of spending two days with Hermann Diebold and his son Marcel from Stuttgart, Germany.  I know Hermann though our mutual passion for Bucker airplanes.  Hermann was spending the holiday in the states and dropped by for a visit.  We went flying in my Bucker Jungmann, plus Ron's J3 Cub and Richard Epton's monstrous Gull-wing Stinson.  We did other things too.  Marcel blended in with our four kids like part of the family and went swimming, ate steak and ice cream and amazed us with his mastery of the English language.  It was a tremendous visit and I was sad to see them leave.

More soon.

Enjoy

Brian



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home