Curtiss Jenny Restoration

Welcome! We hope you enjoy following the restoration process of a 1918 Curtiss JN4D Jenny. Once completed, the aeroplane will be flown and displayed at the Candler Field Museum in Williamson GA (30 miles south of Atlanta). You can contact me below by clicking on "VIEW MY PROFILE"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Peachtree City, Georgia, United States

Saturday, January 28, 2012

Plane in the background

All you have to do is ask....! Remember the airplane in the background? We got an answer.



Gary Fathers emailed me right away. He said:

As you know, my favorite plane is the Thomas Morse S4c scout, so you know what I'm gonna say next don't ya!!!

The plane in the photo is an S4c re-engined with something, don't know what though, probably something huge for racing purposes I'd guess. Several of them were modified after the war for barnstorming, displays etc, and even modified with tandem seating by grossly widening the fuselage for a passenger. Looking at the attempts at streamlining it was probably for racing.

A closer photo can be found on Flikr at this link;
I think it looks pretty much the same.
See ya Gary



From what I can tell, the engine looks like an OX-5. Thanks, Gary for the identification. Gary is building a scale Thomas Morse and I can't wait to see it.

Jim Landon also e-mailed me and made the same identification. He also made a very detailed Thomas Morse Scout several years ago.

Getting back to Jennies... Jim sent pictures of the extremely detailed 1/16 scale Jenny model he is building for a museum in Colorado. Check out this detail!





Absolutely stunning. http://www.flickr.com/x/t/0091009/photos/landoni/6663442667/

Hope to work on the Jenny Sunday evening. There is more burnishing to do and I think the first rib stitch will be made. Till then... enjoy

Brian

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home