Curtiss Jenny Restoration

Welcome! We hope you enjoy following the restoration process of a 1918 Curtiss JN4D Jenny. Once completed, the aeroplane will be flown and displayed at the Candler Field Museum in Williamson GA (30 miles south of Atlanta). You can contact me below by clicking on "VIEW MY PROFILE"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Peachtree City, Georgia, United States

Wednesday, January 04, 2012

Jenny news around the world

I wanted to catch up on a few things in the Jenny world and thought you might like hearing about them.

First of all, I'm proud to report that Einar Ketlesson of Bellingham Washington is the proud new owner of Curtiss JN4D Serial Number 2918.



Obviously there is much work to be done, but hey...that's half the fun!





After talking with Einar the other day, I don't know who was more excited about the project - him or me. I can't wait to hear about his restoration progress.



Einar also told me that the Museum of Flight in Seattle is now displaying their Jenny in its entirety. That is good!



Also, Dennis Goodrich sent me a picture of the beautiful Canuck model he built.



Dennis writes:

Part of my interest in your restoration is my little project to build a Canuck Jenny model for the Ames (Iowa) Historical Society. The prototype's owner was Neta Snook, an Ames resident in the late 'tees and 20's, who went on to teach Amelia Earhart to fly. Her plane was a cast off of the RCAF obtained in Fort Worth, Tx, I believe. I found this Jenny Kit at Aerodrome R/C and have used photos on the historical society's web page for documentation. I am aware of several errors that I will correct the next time.

Beautiful model, Dennis. Thanks for sharing it.

Lastly, I got an e-mail from Steve Kessinger. He had a neat question:

I am building a radio controlled Jenny similar to the one my friend John Witt showed you this summer.

I imagine you must be asked many Jenny questions, if I could trouble you for a moment with my own I hope you could help solve a problem. I was told (I think it was many years ago at the San Diego Air Museum) that originally Jenny's undersurfaces were left unpainted/colored except for national insignia, and they were white even when when the rest of the aircraft was painted in US Army colors. All my reference materials are black and white so its hard to tell. Do you have any information or opinion on the subject?

I had never heard of Curtiss leaving the underside of the wings unpainted. I'm sure they were given several coats of dope, but why would they leave them colorless?

Does anyone know?

Steve maintains a builders log for his Jenny model entitled " Proctor Jenny by an Average Joe". I beg to differ. He is doing a spectacular job. I would hardly call him average. Check out his work:



http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1068532

You'll be glad you did!

That's it for Jenny news. Cheers

Brian

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home