Disassembly and aileron coppering
All the wires were removed...
...and cataloged for re installation at a later date.
The upper wings were removed and Brian started safety wiring the turnbuckles.
I put the little leather grommets between the wires.
And John Kuck safety wired the other wing.
All four wings are now ready to cover.
Today, Brighton and I headed to the shop. I wanted to get the copper reinforcements on the ailerons. We took some 10 oz. copper and cut it into 7/16 in strips with the shears. Brighton's job was to stand on the shear bar to work the blade.
The copper helps hold the ribs on.
We sheared all the strips we will need for both ailerons. He liked that machine!
The ribs on the right aileron are all coppered now.
Also, the aileron horn gets some crush protection from the copper. That was made today also.
Lastly, professional photographer John Slemp has made available his photographs of the Jenny available for public view:
I'm sure John could make you some fine prints if you want some. He does really nice avaition photography. I really like the Ryan STA photos. Pretty classy!
More soon. Enjoy