Curtiss Jenny Restoration

Welcome! We hope you enjoy following the restoration process of a 1918 Curtiss JN4D Jenny. Once completed, the aeroplane will be flown and displayed at the Candler Field Museum in Williamson GA (30 miles south of Atlanta). You can contact me below by clicking on "VIEW MY PROFILE"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Peachtree City, Georgia, United States

Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Top cowl patterns

Today, we made the cutout patterns for the cabane struts.



Marks were made at the cabane strut fitting locations.



And the patterns were used to find the optimal cut out. We decided it was easier to use the outside of the pattern. That way, you could move it around and get the perfect fit.



Our goal is to make a good paper pattern and then transfer it to the metal.

We also made a paper pattern for the cockpit cut out using the original Jenny cowl.



Here are the patterns.



Of course we could not resist making a rough paper template of the front windshield!



We also burnished another couple of lines on the side cowl. Not a bad day's work.



Enjoy

Brian

3 Comments:

Blogger Al said...

I have been watching your progress for a couple of months and I am amazed at your patience devotion to such a giant project. I'm just an old engineer who learned to fly many years ago and lost my certificate a few years back. I look forward to the day when you finish the Jenny and go up with her. Hope you will plan to record it on UTube.

Good fit on the cowling and machined sides.

Best Regards,

Al

2:51 PM  
Blogger Al said...

Really good fit on the cowl. I have been watching your progress for a couple of months and am inpressed with your patience and divotion to this grand project. Can hardly wait until you get it ready for a test flight

Best Regards,

Al

3:06 PM  
Blogger Brian Karli said...

Hi Al,

Thanks for the kind words. I'm sure the maiden voyage will be posted on Youtube. Sure, I'm looking forward to that day but quite frankly, I'm having fun building the thing.

Nice to meet you

Brian

4:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home