Curtiss Jenny Restoration

Welcome! We hope you enjoy following the restoration process of a 1918 Curtiss JN4D Jenny. Once completed, the aeroplane will be flown and displayed at the Candler Field Museum in Williamson GA (30 miles south of Atlanta). You can contact me below by clicking on "VIEW MY PROFILE"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Peachtree City, Georgia, United States

Monday, December 12, 2011

Side panel doors

When I started this burnishing process, Dave Harwell at Barnstormers Workshop gave me a handful of these scotch brite disks and said "have at it". We used them pretty quickly on the belly sheet metal.

So, rather than bother Dave for some more, I decided to get some myself. I usually buy things from MSC. They have a big warehouse next to the Fulton County Airport (where I work) so it is convenient for me to stop there on my way home. Plus, their customer service is great.

Anyway, I searched "2 in. scotch brite disks 3M" on their website and a whole bunch of them came up. I narrowed it down. I wanted the purple ones like Dave Harwell gave me. A few days later, I had a bag of them. The grit felt the same but the back side of the disks were a different color.



No problem, right? I figured the ones I got from Dave were generic or something. They looked the same except for the 3M logo.

After two rows of burnishing, I could tell something was different. The pads really grabbed and wanted to twist the cowl! They made a lot more dust and the swirls were deeper. Obviously, the grit was different.

So, the burnishing was halted for the day.



Still not wanting to bother Dave Harwell, I went to the local Hardware store. They had some disks that looked exactly the same made by Fourney. I bought 20 of them. I was all ready to burnish some more when I had a change of heart. The pads that worked the best were from Dave Harwell. Why not just get some more?



So, I did.

I called Dave and he was more than gracious, ordering me more disks from his usual source McMaster-Carr. Now, I have plenty of the "preferred" disks for burnishing.



In the meantime, I didn't want to waste time waiting for the disks to arrive so the flanges were bent on the left side cowl.



And hammered flat.



Here is the left side cowl.

Then, I started making the little side access door on the right side cowl.



It is made the same way - the edges bent over 1/2 inch and pounded flat.



Here is the door being held in place with some cleco's.

Then the big right side door was marked.



Cut on the shears.



Bent 90 degrees with the brake set to 1/2 inch.



And pounded flat.



The hinge measurements were taken from the original cowl, marked, drilled and cleco'ed in place.



Here are the two right side doors.



Next step will be to drill the holes for the Murphy fasteners. They can not be permanently mounted until the doors have been burnished, but the holes can be cut.



This is what the Murphy fasteners will look like when mounted on the door.



Lastly, I put the prop hub in place for one final check. The hub works great, but I noticed that the the front nut was too long. The "nut" should be nearly flush with the hub. Something was amiss.



I got this hub from Denny Trone several years ago. I suspect it was a reproduction but unfortunately Denny is no longer around to ask. So, keep your ears open for a Hisso prop hub. I'm going to need a new front piece!

Got a busy week at work coming up. I'll try to post again soon. Enjoy!

Brian

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home