Using the Curtiss drawing and verifying the measurements with the original side cowl, the marks were drawn on the new piece and cut out with the shears.
Then, flanges were bent down on the opening sides using a block of wood and a hammer.
These flanges were then bent back onto the metal. If you don't want to use the wood/hammer method, a rubber mallet works well, too.
Here is the completer door opening (from the inside).
The lower lip extends across the lower longeron.
Here you see a good overall picture of the opening.
The second door on the right side allows access to the bottom of the fuel tank - specifically the fuel shutoff valve. It was also marked, cut out and bent using the above mentioned method.
The completed opening below.
Here is the right side panel to date. Next step is trimming, burnishing and louver pressing.
The left side cowl was marked last night, but it was getting late and I found myself staring at the measurements for minutes at a time. A fatigued brain makes lots of mistakes so I put down the tools and went to bed.
More soon. Enjoy.