Curtiss Jenny Restoration

Welcome! We hope you enjoy following the restoration process of a 1918 Curtiss JN4D Jenny. Once completed, the aeroplane will be flown and displayed at the Candler Field Museum in Williamson GA (30 miles south of Atlanta). You can contact me below by clicking on "VIEW MY PROFILE"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Peachtree City, Georgia, United States

Sunday, September 25, 2011

Engine compartment cross wires

It sure felt great to spend a few hours at the shop last night. After a hectic schedule at work, turning wrenches on the Jenny was really therapeutic.

A lot of people ask me what it is like to restore a Jenny. I think they are really asking what it is like to spend six plus years on a project and still have more work to do. I came across a quote by Winston Churchill which really described it perfectly.

Winston's quote was referring to writing a book, but the same idea applies to restoring an airplane. So, sorry Winston. I'm stealing your words and replacing the first three with my own:

"Restoring an airplane is an adventure. To begin with, it is a toy and an amusement; then it becomes a mistress, and then it becomes a master, and then a tyrant. The last phase is that just as you are about to be reconciled to your servitude, you kill the monster, and fling him out to the public.”

Back to the Jenny. After witnessing a fuel leak in the Buzz Pump, we found that the internal o-ring was pinched. I emailed Buzz Aero and George Buzel was kind enough to send a new ring right away. So, I installed the new ring and the leak stopped.



George mentioned that future models of the Buzz pump will not even have this o-ring assembly. I think this is a great idea. Once the Jenny is covered, this pump will be difficult to access if I have to change the o-ring again.



I have no complaints with Buzz Aero. It is good to see companies stand behind their produce. Anyway, here is a picture of the completed installation.

I went to Aircraft Spruce and got some more 5/32 wire and began wrapping. What is this? Wire number two hundred and fifty three....?



Anyway, four ends were wrapped last night.



These wires support the engine bearers.





And they cross in front of the firewall.



A picture from the front.



Lastly, I went to MSC and got some more flux and solder. We have a lot of wrapped wires to solder and I wanted to be provisioned accordingly.



Lastly, I wanted to share with you something really neat, especially if you get excited about old things like Jennies and race cars.

Kurt Wheaton from Oregon emailed me asking about what to do with his grandfather's scrapbooks. His grandfather was an early aviator and Kurt had five scrapbooks filled with Jenny pictures as well as Nieuports, Spads etc. I could not stop drooling.

Well, Kurt decided to share his treasures with the world.

http://ivanpwheaton.blogspot.com

I just had a look at his blog. The pictures are great! Thanks, Kurt.

More soon.

Enjoy

Brian

1 Comments:

Blogger Kurt P. Wheaton said...

Brian, you're being very humble. Your encouragement (and begging, heh) was the inspiration for the blog. I've wondered for a long, long time what would be the best way to get the collection somewhere that everyone could enjoy it. The light just went off, and I realized I could take my time digitizing the collection and blogging, just like you're doing here. Except I hope it doesn't take me six years to finish! Thanks a ton for the inspiration, and for the very cool blog on your Jenny project. The A&P in me really smiles when I see your work.

12:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home