Curtiss Jenny Restoration

Welcome! We hope you enjoy following the restoration process of a 1918 Curtiss JN4D Jenny. Once completed, the aeroplane will be flown and displayed at the Candler Field Museum in Williamson GA (30 miles south of Atlanta). You can contact me below by clicking on "VIEW MY PROFILE"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Peachtree City, Georgia, United States

Tuesday, July 05, 2011

Upper wing bolt fitting

On the upper wing, last outer strut (where the rear king post attaches) there is a bracket that holds the two bolts in place. I only had one original piece, so another one had to be made.



Brian Eberle volunteered to make the simple bending jig.



So, with the heat of the torch softening the steel, a few blows with a hammer bent the lip over the jig.



Original on the left. Reproduction on the right.



This is how the bracket goes.



Also, I made a paper template of the fuselage side. This marked the location of the elevator cable exit locations. When the fabric is put on the airplane, I'll just have to hold this paper up against it and cut out the holes.



We are starting to cover the wings tomorrow. I'll post more soon.

Enjoy

BK

3 Comments:

Blogger Jim Landon said...

Once again Brian, I plead with you not to cover this masterpiece ! ... At least leave half of it uncovered. ... Or do you intend to fly it?

1:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brian,

Let me start by saying I have followed your build for a number of years and have thoroughly enjoyed it. I have been flying since the mid 70s and can’t think of anything I enjoy more.

Your building techniques have been outstanding and right on in your manufacturing process.

I would be remiss if I did not contact you on one point. The slot you have put in to accommodate the U-bolts for mounting the Oil tank could cause you some trouble. The slot is fine however you probably should use a rounded end and not the square corners. You will be picking up vibration from the engine and the square corners will fatigue and start to crack especially the one on the end nearest the mounting bolt. You might be surprised how quickly the cracks will develop and unfortunately they will.

Just wanted to share my observation with you.

Hope to see it in the air soon.

Bob Wiley
GKN Aerospace

7:59 AM  
Blogger Brian Karli said...

Hi Bob,

Good observation. You are right. When I get back to working on the oil tank, I'll hit the corners with a round file.

Cheers

Bria

7:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home