Curtiss Jenny Restoration

Welcome! We hope you enjoy following the restoration process of a 1918 Curtiss JN4D Jenny. Once completed, the aeroplane will be flown and displayed at the Candler Field Museum in Williamson GA (30 miles south of Atlanta). You can contact me below by clicking on "VIEW MY PROFILE"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Peachtree City, Georgia, United States

Sunday, July 17, 2011

Engine mount drilled. Gascolator

For a long time, I thought about how to drill the engine bearers. Should I just mark them a certain distance apart, drill and hope the holes match the engine case? Should I make an elaborate jig and drill them with the engine on the plane? That way I know the engine is aligned with the center line of the fuselage.

I decided to do it this way.

I took a little piece of tubing and ground the one end sharp. Then, I took a C-clamp and gently pressed the tubing into the engine bearer wood.



The sharp tube made a nice indentation in the wood marking the spot to drill.



A few minutes on the drill press and the engine bearers are ready for their long AN7 bolts.



We had another issue to solve. Jennies had a simple fuel system - from the tank to the carburetor was a direct line. Because we know so much more today, I wanted a gascolator to catch any dirt and water that could accumulate in the fuel. So, we decided to install one in the line between the tank and the wobble pump.

The gascolator would be mounted on the back side of the firewall. Since the firewall is curved, brackets would have to be made. Brian Eberle took care of that.



This is how the bracket will mount.



Here is a trial fit with the gascolator in place.



More soon. Enjoy

Brian

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home