Curtiss Jenny Restoration

Welcome! We hope you enjoy following the restoration process of a 1918 Curtiss JN4D Jenny. Once completed, the aeroplane will be flown and displayed at the Candler Field Museum in Williamson GA (30 miles south of Atlanta). You can contact me below by clicking on "VIEW MY PROFILE"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Peachtree City, Georgia, United States

Sunday, May 29, 2011

Aileron brace wires

On the way home from work, I stopped by MSC to get some .100 piano wire for the aileron brace wires.

The first step is to put the wire in the bending tool...



...and pull the handle. I love this machine and it sure saved me a lot of work over the years.



Then the ferrule is pulled up.



And the end bent over and cut off.



Here are the first two wires - top and bottom.



All the wires join at the aileron horn shackle.



The left aileron wires are finished.



Unfortunately, MSC only had one spool of piano wire. The second spook (for the right aileron) is on back order. Should be here in a few days.

We had a few visitors this week. Larry and Vic Grondzki came by the hangar to see the Jenny. They own a beautiful Tigre powered Bucker Jungmann and we have been friends for many years. Dummy me forgot the camera to record their visit.

Ross Oetjen and family flew to Atlanta in his Cherokee 180. While his kids and ours went to the swimming pool, Ross and I ran to the hangar to get a peek at the Jenny.



Ross and I flew together at USAir and he now works for Gulfstream as a G550 Demo pilot.

Patricia Mintari e-mailed me pictures of their Jenny project. As you can see, they are inching closer and closer to completion.



Here is a smiling Phil Mintari pointing to the newly made Jenny roundel.



I liked this photo.



More soon. Enjoy

Brian

4 Comments:

Blogger Jim Landon said...

Hi Brian ! ... I am excited to see new photos ! ... I check your blog every day and save almost every photo for reference for building my model Jenny (which is taking me longer to build than building a real Jenny). ... I am working on the first aileron right now, so these latest pix are priceless. ... Thank you very much for doing this blog !

10:48 AM  
Blogger Brian Karli said...

Thanks, Jim.

Glad to see the pictures appreciated. If you need more aileron detail shots, let me know.

Can't wait to see your Jenny model.

Cheers

BK

6:23 PM  
Blogger austin Wright said...

i love the jenny, she is a very beautiful airplane, i love the amount of detail they put into her, i would love to be able to fly one some day or even possibly own one, this is great work you guys are doing and have done

7:55 PM  
Blogger Brian Karli said...

Hi Austin.

I agree with you. I have a soft spot for the Jenny too.

Thanks for the kind words.

Brian

6:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home