Curtiss Jenny Restoration

Welcome! We hope you enjoy following the restoration process of a 1918 Curtiss JN4D Jenny. Once completed, the aeroplane will be flown and displayed at the Candler Field Museum in Williamson GA (30 miles south of Atlanta). You can contact me below by clicking on "VIEW MY PROFILE"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Peachtree City, Georgia, United States

Saturday, April 02, 2011

Upper wing

After dinner, the kids were complaining that they were bored, so I asked them to help me in the shop. Two of the four kids volunteered.
"What are we going to do?" they asked.
"Something really cool," I said.
"Can I bring my i-pod?"
I forgot how kids think these days. They don't go anywhere without an "i-something".

I told them that they were going to witness a historic event. We were going to install the upper wing on the Jenny and they were going to be a part of it.
"Why is this so historic?"
"The wings have never been put on the fuselage before."
"You're weird, dad."

Geoffrey (left) and Graham (right) volunteered to lift the wing root.



Ron held the tip. After the pins were installed, Ron crawled up the ladder and the struts were installed.



Ah, success!



We paused for a family photo after the plumb lines were taped to the upper leading edge of the wing. We were pretty close to the 16 inch stagger.



A view from the balcony.



That's it for tonight. Hope to have the other upper wing installed soon. Till then...

Enjoy

BK

3 Comments:

Blogger Michael Brennan said...

This is a really nice post. Over the years it occurs to me that the boys are growing faster than the Jenny. Good work!

8:09 AM  
Blogger Michael Brennan said...

This is a really nice post. Over the past years, it occurs to me that the boys are growing faster than the Jenny. Best Regards, Mike

8:11 AM  
Blogger JT said...

Awesome Brian! Congrats on getting the wings installed. This is a huge milestone and I look forward to the first flight. Something tells me we will have two new birds in the air soon. Keep at it!
-JT

10:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home