Drilling holes in the wing
Here is the part fresh from the bandsaw and grinder. The edges were smoothed with hand files.
The sides were bend with a block.
Here are the pieces. The "dog bone" at the bottom was .090 sheet steel.
Clamped in place for brazing.
Original on the left and reproduction on the right. The holes have to be drilled next as well as the bends in the flanges.
We marked the location of the holes for the wing fittings.
And drilled them using the drill jig.
Here is the front top wing king post wire attach fitting.
And the underside.
We also drilled the aileron cable pulley assembly holes.
Lastly, we marked the location of the 3/16 in holes which hold the aileron hinges in place.
Here is one hinge with the bolts installed.
Two of the four hinges were drilled before it got too late that night. We decided to call it a day.
After I drove home from the shop and pulled into the neighborhood last night, it was pretty late (after 11PM). For some reason, I noticed that the wife had the outside lights on so I would not have to fumble my way from the car to the front door. It made me think about all the times I came home late at night over the past few years. Only last night did I realize that each time, without fail, she had the lights on waiting for me to come home.
Building an aeroplane is easy. She has the hard part.