Curtiss Jenny Restoration

Welcome! We hope you enjoy following the restoration process of a 1918 Curtiss JN4D Jenny. Once completed, the aeroplane will be flown and displayed at the Candler Field Museum in Williamson GA (30 miles south of Atlanta). You can contact me below by clicking on "VIEW MY PROFILE"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Peachtree City, Georgia, United States

Thursday, February 10, 2011

Oil Tank and Bushings

It was an eclectic day today.

I went to the hangar early after dropping the kids off at school. I only had a few hours before our youngest son needed to be picked up, so I grabbed the sheet of .050 5052H sheet aluminum and began cutting out the oil tank. The pneumatic shears are worth their weight in gold!



After staring at the void on the firewall, I decided on the tank dimensions. Then I added 1/2 in. on all the sides for bending and welding.



I used this picture of a Hisso Jenny to determine the shape, size and location of the oil tank. You can see the rectangular tank right below the rear of the engine. Looks like a little suitcase.



The corners were cut out for bending.



So ended the morning. I picked Brighton up at school, ate lunch and then the other kids came home. Homework, dinner, sports...by 745PM I was back at the shop.

Richard Epton's box brake made the oil tank flanges perfectly.



Here is the oil tank going together. I have never welded aluminum before (I want to learn someday), nor do I own a TIG welder (I want one of them one day, too), so I will take the tank to a local welder. I have been debating whether the 1/2 in. flanges are too much material for welding. Maybe I need to cut them down to 1/4 in.? We will see what the welder says.



This is the basic tank. The inlet/outlet/drain bosses need to be welded on too.



While I was at Richard's shop, I made the bushing for the control stick pivot. For some reason, there was slop in this piece. The only way to fix it was to bush it.

So, a 5/16 in. drill bit was used for the ID.



And then the outside was cut down to 21/32 in.



It is a thin bushing, but it takes the slop out of the elevator control. The bushing will be cut to fit the pivot tomorrow.



The aileron pulleys needed bushings too. I had one original pulley which had a bigger hole than the AN3 bolt that helds the pulley onto the seat rail. Once again, a bushing takes care of that.



Now you see how it fits. This bushing will also be cut to size later.



That's it for today. Many thanks to Richard Epton for use of his tools.

Enjoy

Brian

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home