Curtiss Jenny Restoration

Welcome! We hope you enjoy following the restoration process of a 1918 Curtiss JN4D Jenny. Once completed, the aeroplane will be flown and displayed at the Candler Field Museum in Williamson GA (30 miles south of Atlanta). You can contact me below by clicking on "VIEW MY PROFILE"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Peachtree City, Georgia, United States

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

center section

Ah, the center section...here we go again.

As I mentioned earlier, when we put the cabane struts in their sockets, we got a 14 inch stagger between the upper and lower wings rather than the 16 inch stagger we needed. So, I knew the bottom angle on the cabane struts had to be changed.

This was frustrating because the cabane struts were perfectly made exactly to the Curtiss drawings.

So, we had to change the angle of the struts. Easy, right?



Well, not really. Not only was the angle wrong, but the distance between the center section and the lower wing was off, too. There is supposed to be 61 1/4 inches between them. We had 60 3/4 in. I was not very happy. The frustration level was very high.

Sometimes sleeping on a problem is the best thing to do.

With a clear head, a solution was worked out. We cut the back of the struts to get the proper angle for the 16 in stagger. Then we added material to the bottom of the struts to get the proper height.



Here you can see the new steeper angle with the laminated spruce pieces.



Now we have a 16 inches of stagger and 61 1/4 inches between wings. Next step is to drill the holes, varnish and copper.



I took some time today to lay out all the wing hardware.



These are original forgings. The wing struts attach here. One plate needs to have a tab cut off and put on the other side but otherwise, we have a complete set.



We were missing one kingpost wing wire attach fitting, so using the original as a pattern, another was cut out of sheet steel. It will be brazed together, the oblong hole cut and countersunk next.



I was also missing one upper wing flying wire fitting.



The original on the top was also used as a pattern.



Here's a shot of the project so far. We're getting there!



John Gaertner made some of the aileron wire pulleys for us. They are two halves brazed together.



Here is a picture of the original one on the top left and the reproductions.



John sent me these pictures of Lt. Campbell and his Jenny right after he set the record for the most continuous number of loops back in 1918. What struck me was the straight exhaust stacks on the Hisso! Check that out.

Here's another picture of an OX-5 Jenny.

More soon. enjoy

Brian

1 Comments:

Blogger JT said...

Looking like an aeroplane now Brian! Keep up the progress. JT

5:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home