Curtiss Jenny Restoration

Welcome! We hope you enjoy following the restoration process of a 1918 Curtiss JN4D Jenny. Once completed, the aeroplane will be flown and displayed at the Candler Field Museum in Williamson GA (30 miles south of Atlanta). You can contact me below by clicking on "VIEW MY PROFILE"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Peachtree City, Georgia, United States

Friday, February 04, 2011

Brace, Fuel Tank & Seat Rail

The right side radiator bracket was cut from some .063 stock to match the bracket on the opposite side.



And the radiator support was also cut from some spruce stock.



A few minutes on the oscillating spindle sander...



There is the support.



The OX-5 Jenny tank sits in its cradle at an angle, but the Hisso version does not. So, the fuel gauge "neck"was machined out of aluminum and the holes were drilled onto the tank.



The neck is held down by some brass countersunk screws.



And then the gauge itself is attached to the neck with some machine screws. I didn't tighten anything down because the parts have to come off one more time so some gaskets can be made.



The tank needs a way to vent, so a hole was drilled into the cap and a brass tube was inserted.



The tank also needed a finger strainer, so I bought one from Aircraft Spruce and cut off the threads.



The assembly was inserted into the sump of the tank and the fuel shutoff valve reattached.



Lastly, the piece of spruce on the left is an original seat rail. I used it to support the rear seat but I noticed that anytime someone sat on the seat, the rail bowed and the aileron cable guide touched the control fan. That was not good. Much as I wanted to use original parts, I decided that a new seat rail had to be made. This time, I used a piece of ash. It's stronger than spruce and since the only way to get into a Jenny is by stepping on the seat, I like having the extra strength.



The spindle sander got a workout today.



Here is the new rail.



Both the seat rail and the radiator supports were varnished before the day was done.

I was hoping to have posted some shots of the Jenny sitting on the ramp, but the reporter from AutoPilot magazine wasn't able to make it last week. We postponed the interview until a later date. I promise I'll get those "big" pictures soon.

Enjoy

Brian

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home