U-bolts, radiator and engine installation
Later, Brian Eberly brought a pizza (thanks, Brian) and Glen Marsh offered to help so we went to work on the Jenny. The engine bearer u-bolts were brazed first.
After they were brazed, the bead blaster took off all the slag.
And the bolts were given a coat of primer paint. They will be painted black later.
Here is how the u-bolt fits.
While I was doing that, Brian started working on the brackets which go underneath the engine bearers.
Bent 90 degrees.
Here they are.
And here is where they will go.
Before Station 3 cross brace, the fuel tank cradle and Brian's brackets are drilled (they all go together) I wanted to install the engine one last time to make sure everything fit.
While I was doing that, Glen cut the flange off the radiator. I noticed that the flange was built too far towards the inside. The flange is supposed to offer support to the sheet metal side pieces. Instead of a 1/16 in. gap, there was a 1/4 in gap.
The radiator fit OK. We noticed another problem. The water tank at the top of the radiator was too wide. I did not have a drawing for the Hisso radiator so I used the OX-5 radiator drawing as a starting point, studied a bunch of old photographs, and took a guess. I made the water tank the same size as the OX-5. But the cylinder banks of the Hisso touch the sides so I'll have to shorten the tank.
But for now, the radiator fit fine enough for the purpose at hand - to drill the above mentioned holes.
Couldn't resist fitting the original Jenny exhaust!
Thought this was a cool picture.