Cable Splices, Throttle Rod & Coppering
This is where the first splice will go - the front rudder bar.
Since the paint was sufficiently dry, I installed the inter-stick pushrod.
And the rear stick pushrods.
Here you can see the rear stick pushrod attached to the elevator horn.
Took time to drill the fuel shutoff handle. A cotter key was installed thereafter.
Today, I decided to build the front throttle pushrods. I cut some tubing to size and flattened the ends. On one end, a 3/16 in. hole was drilled. On the other end, a fork was built out of some .063 sheet steel.
I thought I made the fork long enough, but the throttles have really long throws and the fork hit the mixer arm! So, I carved out the mixer arm and it worked really well. I didn't want the fork too long because I thought it would be weak.
The upper part of the arm will be used for the push/pull cable to the Hisso carburetor. Here's the front lever in place.
And the back side.
I had a little leftover time before the kids got off the school bus, so I finished the coppering on the lower left rear cabane strut.
The fuel pump bracket and the fresh coppering got a second and first coat of varnish respectively.
Also - I forgot to mention - once you finish the last tuck of the splice, rib stitching cord is wrapped around the end and sealed with varnish.