Curtiss Jenny Restoration

Welcome! We hope you enjoy following the restoration process of a 1918 Curtiss JN4D Jenny. Once completed, the aeroplane will be flown and displayed at the Candler Field Museum in Williamson GA (30 miles south of Atlanta). You can contact me below by clicking on "VIEW MY PROFILE"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Peachtree City, Georgia, United States

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Cable Splices, Throttle Rod & Coppering

Hey, I finally figured it out! I successfully made a 5 Tuck Navy Splice! It really wasn't that hard once you figure it out. Let me practice a little more and I promise I'll post step by step directions on how to make the splice.



This is where the first splice will go - the front rudder bar.



Since the paint was sufficiently dry, I installed the inter-stick pushrod.



And the rear stick pushrods.



Here you can see the rear stick pushrod attached to the elevator horn.



Took time to drill the fuel shutoff handle. A cotter key was installed thereafter.



Today, I decided to build the front throttle pushrods. I cut some tubing to size and flattened the ends. On one end, a 3/16 in. hole was drilled. On the other end, a fork was built out of some .063 sheet steel.



I thought I made the fork long enough, but the throttles have really long throws and the fork hit the mixer arm! So, I carved out the mixer arm and it worked really well. I didn't want the fork too long because I thought it would be weak.



The upper part of the arm will be used for the push/pull cable to the Hisso carburetor. Here's the front lever in place.



And the back side.



I had a little leftover time before the kids got off the school bus, so I finished the coppering on the lower left rear cabane strut.



The fuel pump bracket and the fresh coppering got a second and first coat of varnish respectively.



Also - I forgot to mention - once you finish the last tuck of the splice, rib stitching cord is wrapped around the end and sealed with varnish.



More soon

Enjoy

Brian

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home