Tires and hub caps
In the mail the other day came an eagerly awaited package! Fellow Jenny restorer Phil Mintari in Texas had the original Curtiss hubcaps remade. These are castings (as were the original) and they sure turned out well. I stuck the hub cap on the axle for show. I have not drilled the hole for the bolt yet.
While we were messing with the hubcaps, we decided it was a good time to mount the tires. These 26 x 4 smooth tires were purchased from Coker in Tennessee.
I did not know which tubes to order, so I asked the Coker salesman what other smooth 26 x 4 tire customers purchased and this is what everyone was using - 350/400 - 19 tube.
Here's everything lined up for assembly. One word of advice - the more people you have available to do this job the better! The tire has to be stretched over the rim. The more hands you have the easier it will be.
First, we applied some tire talk to the inside of the tire. I heard you can use dish washing liquid instead, but we had plenty of talc laying around and that's what we used.
Same thing for the tube.
Here is where the stretching happens. Jacob Biang and Brian Eberle provided muscle and advice. I used four big, flat screwdrivers as prying irons. Slowly work your way around the tire, holding the last screwdriver and working the new one forward.
One word of caution !!! Be extremely careful when inserting the screwdriver under the rim. You might pinch the tube. We learned this the hard way. The tube is somewhat fragile and it's easy to poke a hole in it.
When you add air to the tire, do it gradually to seat the tube. Add some air, let it out, add some more air, let it out....this prevents the tube from kinking inside the tire.
Here they are - new Jenny tires! The talc will be washed off later. Right now, I was just excited to see them in place.
More later. Got a busy week at work ahead.