Curtiss Jenny Restoration

Welcome! We hope you enjoy following the restoration process of a 1918 Curtiss JN4D Jenny. Once completed, the aeroplane will be flown and displayed at the Candler Field Museum in Williamson GA (30 miles south of Atlanta). You can contact me below by clicking on "VIEW MY PROFILE"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Peachtree City, Georgia, United States

Monday, July 05, 2010

Tail Skid Bumper Plate

Had a spare three hours this morning, so I decided to make the tail skid bumper plates.

First, 4in. by 6in. squares were cut from a sheet of rubber. This rubber is tough stuff - it has fibers woven throughout. I got it from Paul Dougherty who used it for the bumpers for his Jenny. I believe he got it at an automotive supply store.



Anyway, the wooden braces had their final coat of varnish so it was time to attach the bumpers with some #8 brass round head screws. Here you can see how the tail skid touches the bumper when it turns.



Here is the other side view.
The second one is ready to assemble, but I ran out of time.



More soon. Enjoy

Brian

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home