Curtiss Jenny Restoration

Welcome! We hope you enjoy following the restoration process of a 1918 Curtiss JN4D Jenny. Once completed, the aeroplane will be flown and displayed at the Candler Field Museum in Williamson GA (30 miles south of Atlanta). You can contact me below by clicking on "VIEW MY PROFILE"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Peachtree City, Georgia, United States

Saturday, July 24, 2010

Rear cockpit details

It's hot here in Georgia this time of year, so I decided to go to the hangar at sunrise and paint some black urethane.

Here are the parts on the paint rack before spraying.



After the parts had dried, I went back later that night and installed the floorboard clamps.



The next day, Brian Eberly helped install the control sticks, seat rails, etc.



Here's a view of how the floorboards attach to the vertical seat rail support.



The seat supports. These are original pieces circa 1917.



Another view with the seat installed.



Ah, the stick controls are now installed!



Front stick.



OK, I've waited for this moment for a long time. Since the rudder bars are permanently installed, and the control sticks are permanently installed, and since the seat is bolted to the supports....why not make a little aeroplane noise.



Brian Eberly got his turn too.



This is a fuzzy photo (and I apologize) but you get the idea.



I'm sorry if I'm straying away from the purpose of this blog, but many people had sent me nice e-mails of condolence about the death of our dog last week. Thanks, I appreciate them. So, here is a picture of her in happier times last month as she went for an aeroplane ride.




She liked the wind in her face.



While I'm off topic, one of the nice things about flying for a living is that I get to visit some neat places. I had a quick layover in Dayton, Ohio last a few days ago and I made a dash to the USAF Museum....





...to see their Jenny, of course!



Afterward, I made a detour to the Woodlawn cemetary. Recognize the name?







As a pilot, I needed to say hello.

More soon....and I promise not to stray from the Jenny anymore.

Cheers

Brian

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home