Curtiss Jenny Restoration

Welcome! We hope you enjoy following the restoration process of a 1918 Curtiss JN4D Jenny. Once completed, the aeroplane will be flown and displayed at the Candler Field Museum in Williamson GA (30 miles south of Atlanta). You can contact me below by clicking on "VIEW MY PROFILE"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Peachtree City, Georgia, United States

Sunday, July 18, 2010

Progress today

Very productive day at the hangar today.

My good friend Jerry Wells in Pennsylvania was persuaded to trade a new, modern slip indicator for the antique looking one he had at his shop. He was going to put it in his Bucker Jungmeister but thought the old instrument would look better in the Jenny. Jerry flies airshows in his Jungmeister and now he will have no excuse but to keep the ball in the center with the brand new slip indicator I just sent him. www.jerrywellsairshows.com

Here is where the instrument will go. I like it.



Today, Brian Eberle fit the rims to the axles. After everything was measured, we pulled the axle and painted it with primer.



Also, I made the rear fitting on the inter-stick pushrod.



And while the torch was handy, I decided to braze the plate on the tail strut U-bolts.



It looks awful when you turn off the torch.



But, a minute or two in the bead blaster took care of that. The u-bolt was painted tonight too.



The collar that we made at Clint's machine shop was drilled to accept the steel rivet.



After drilling the torque tube, the rivet needed to be bucked. The rivets were pretty long, so we cut them down leaving 1/8 in. sticking out the bottom. Notice the rivet set in the jaws of the vice.



The best way to buck a steel rivet is to heat it. So, the end was heated cherry red...



...and bucked with a rivet gun. This method works pretty well.



Here Glen Marsh heats one of the rivets on the rear stick casting collar.



Ron Alexander and Glen Marsh checked the stick alignment prior to riveting.



Here you can see the torque tube with the stick castings in place.



Perhaps I worry too much, but even after riveting, I decided to braze the stick casting collars. This really strengthened them and gave one more degree of rigidity.



Finally, the torque tube was complete and given a coat of primer.



So were the stick castings and other little pieces awaiting black urethane paint.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home