Curtiss Jenny Restoration

Welcome! We hope you enjoy following the restoration process of a 1918 Curtiss JN4D Jenny. Once completed, the aeroplane will be flown and displayed at the Candler Field Museum in Williamson GA (30 miles south of Atlanta). You can contact me below by clicking on "VIEW MY PROFILE"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Peachtree City, Georgia, United States

Saturday, July 17, 2010

Bearings

Last week, Clint invited me to his machine shop in Griffin, GA. We made the bearings for the control stick torque tube and the 26 X 4 wheels.

I didn't post anything because right after I returned because I had to rush to Pennsylvania. I got a call that my grandmother was in the hospital and not expected to live much longer. We frantically loaded up the kids, dog and a few suitcases and headed north. I was able to spend some time with my grandmother before she peacefully passed away. If that wasn't bad enough, that evening, our elderly schnauzer dog died too. It wasn't a fun day.

But, I vowed to keep this blog objective, so back to the Jenny.

Clint's company, Atlanta Aerospace Machine is full of neat CNC machines. In the corner sat a manual lathe. This interested me the most and after half an hour, Clint showed me how the thing worked. Here's a picture of Clint setting up the lathe.



The first thing we made was the stop collar for the control stick torque tube. This was made out of a thick piece of 4130 steel turned to the dimensions on the 1918 Curtiss drawing.



Here are the collars. You'll see how they work soon.



The second thing we did was machine the bushings for the wheels. I found an oil impregnated bronze bushing with the proper ID at MSC.



All we had to do was machine the OD to fit the rims.



A perfect fit.



Here is the bearing in place.



More soon.

Enjoy

Brian

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home