Curtiss Jenny Restoration

Welcome! We hope you enjoy following the restoration process of a 1918 Curtiss JN4D Jenny. Once completed, the aeroplane will be flown and displayed at the Candler Field Museum in Williamson GA (30 miles south of Atlanta). You can contact me below by clicking on "VIEW MY PROFILE"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Peachtree City, Georgia, United States

Friday, April 16, 2010

castings and floorboards

Today's project was preparing the castings for paint. Every casting was given a light bead blasting before cleaning with Alumiprep.



Then the casings were washed thoroughly with water and etched with Alodine.



Then they were given a coat of primer paint. These pieces will be painted to match their original aluminum color.



Also disassembled the throttles, painted the shafts and gave the knobs another coat of varnish. The last two floorboard supports were sanded and given a second coat of varnish as well.



While that stuff was drying, I drilled and installed several more floorboard straps.



Here is what the inside of the straps look like.



The rear floorboard straps are done except for the smaller, front strap.



Same thing for the front floorboards. They will be painted black as their final color.



Had a great visit from Danny Mintari on Thursday. Danny was in Atlanta on business and stopped to see our Jenny project. He had spent many hours side by side with his father building their Jenny and he could relate to what I was doing! Even though the visit was brief (I had to take the kids to baseball practice) we swapped stories and told similar tales. He also gave me an update on his father's Jenny which is not too far from completion in Texas.



I also got an e-mail from Randy Charles in Wilmington, OH who built a beautiful Jenny model. Randy wrote:

Hi Brian!

Well my Jenny is completed now. Test flights are scheduled for next week if I get the muffler. I had to special order one from Canada . The Jenny came out at 48lbs. I am attaching a photo of it at the Toledo RC Expo last weekend. Didn’t place as I got docked real hard for not having the “scale engine” on it.. Just didn’t have time to get it made and installed before the show. Two of the judges came to me on Sunday and expressed their feeling on the model and how they were upset that they had not been able to place it. Oh well,, I didn’t build it to compete,, just FLY!!!

Hope all is well with you and the family! I will try to get you a few pics of it in the air.



Here's a picture of Randy and his four grandchildren...and one more on the way next month.



Enjoy

Brian

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Danny Mintari said...

Brian, great to meet you and your Jenny. I was pleased to see the type of work you were doing and can really appreciate the amount of time necessary to complete even the smallest of tasks! Great tour and I can't wait to come back and see the Museum and progress on your plane. I plan to work on our Jenny back in Kerrville Texas this upcoming weekend. We plan on dropping in the OX-5 engine and well as getting some additional wires completed. I'll take some pictures so you can keep up with our progress as well. Take care.
Danny

9:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home