castings and floorboards
Then the casings were washed thoroughly with water and etched with Alodine.
Then they were given a coat of primer paint. These pieces will be painted to match their original aluminum color.
Also disassembled the throttles, painted the shafts and gave the knobs another coat of varnish. The last two floorboard supports were sanded and given a second coat of varnish as well.
While that stuff was drying, I drilled and installed several more floorboard straps.
Here is what the inside of the straps look like.
The rear floorboard straps are done except for the smaller, front strap.
Same thing for the front floorboards. They will be painted black as their final color.
Had a great visit from Danny Mintari on Thursday. Danny was in Atlanta on business and stopped to see our Jenny project. He had spent many hours side by side with his father building their Jenny and he could relate to what I was doing! Even though the visit was brief (I had to take the kids to baseball practice) we swapped stories and told similar tales. He also gave me an update on his father's Jenny which is not too far from completion in Texas.
I also got an e-mail from Randy Charles in Wilmington, OH who built a beautiful Jenny model. Randy wrote:
Well my Jenny is completed now. Test flights are scheduled for next week if I get the muffler. I had to special order one from Canada . The Jenny came out at 48lbs. I am attaching a photo of it at the Toledo RC Expo last weekend. Didn’t place as I got docked real hard for not having the “scale engine” on it.. Just didn’t have time to get it made and installed before the show. Two of the judges came to me and expressed their feeling on the model and how they were upset that they had not been able to place it. Oh well,, I didn’t build it to compete,, just FLY!!!
Hope all is well with you and the family! I will try to get you a few pics of it in the air.
Here's a picture of Randy and his four grandchildren...and one more on the way next month.