Curtiss Jenny Restoration

Welcome! We hope you enjoy following the restoration process of a 1918 Curtiss JN4D Jenny. Once completed, the aeroplane will be flown and displayed at the Candler Field Museum in Williamson GA (30 miles south of Atlanta). You can contact me below by clicking on "VIEW MY PROFILE"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Peachtree City, Georgia, United States

Friday, March 12, 2010

Fuel Tank Cradle, Throttle, Starting Mag

Hello again - I've been flying a lot of trips lately. It seems work has gotten busy which is a good thing considering I'm employed in the aviation.

While flying around, I had an opportunity to stop by Fantasy of Flight in Polk City, FL and have a look at their uncovered Jenny project. I took a bunch of measurements and I returned home ready to remake the fuel tank cradles.

Glen Marsh met me at the hangar and we started bending the new strips of .090 steel.



We used the usual system of steel blocks and a good hammer.



This time, we put the new straps in place, leveled the lower section and made a mark where the tab will be bent.



At this mark, the tab was bent.



Then everything was drilled.



To show you the difference, here is a picture of the new JN4D cradle on the left and the JN4D2 on the right.



Even better, here are the two new cradles.



Here I'm giving it a trial fit below.



Much better! Notice there are only three slats.



One of the things I measured at the Fantasy of Flight Jenny was the measurement between the top of the firewall and the top of the fuel tank. It was 1 1/2 inches. I set our fuel tank to this dimension.



During the week, I got a nice e-mail from John Cole from Peoria , AZ. He sent me a picture of the Jenny model he had built.



John wrote:

I refinished an old Proctor 1/6th scale r/c Jenny, and decided to jazz it up a bit. I painted it to resemble one of the a/c purchased by Heddon Tackle Co. of Dowagiac, MI. They used it to fly into large fishing meets, delivering their lures, giving rides, etc. I used the old Renwal plastic kit for reference, and the model certainly gets some attention (laughs) at the meets!!

Take care, and keep up the incredible work on your airplane.




Thanks, John for sharing pictures of your beautiful model.

I had been giving a lot of thought to the Hisso engine lately and one of the things I thought long and hard about was starting the engine. With a 9 1/2 ft. propeller and the E2 version of the Hisso (high compression), hand propping the engine was looking like a challenge. In the old Hisso manual, I read about a starting magneto that they used back then. With the engine on a compression stroke, spinning this crank would cause the spark plug to fire and the engine to start. No hand propping required. Man, I thought, I gotta have one of those!

But where was I going to find one?

Fellow old aeroplane restorer Jim Hammond just happened to have a spare and he was kind enough to send it to me. I can't wait to see how it works. Thanks, Jim!



John Gaertner sent me pictures of his progress. He finished the throttle castings and throttle arms.



And also shaped the wing tip bow on the final remaining wing.



That's it for now. More soon.

Enjoy

Brian

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home