Two days worth of tail work
Here they are cut from a sheet of 1/4 in. Mahogany plywood.
We also continued to fit the tail. One piece that needed to be made was the bracket which holds the rear of the vertical fin to the stabilizer. You'll see more about this later in the blog.
One of the pieces missing with the project was one of the U-bolts that hold the front stabilizer to the upper longeron. Making one was easy. I used a 1/4 in. rod and bent it around a steel bar. You can see the edges of the steel bar have been rounded to make the curve of the rod gradual.
Here's a completed rod on the left and the bent rod on the right. The ends were cut off and the new u-bolt was threaded with a 1/4 -28 die.
John Kuck also stopped by and I put him to work building the front instrument panel.
Below is the front panel pieces.
And the rear panel pieces.
The cutouts and final fitting will happen next.
Now, the bracket that held the vertical fin was welded today.
Here's the bracket after welding.
The vertical pieces need to be drilled, but this is how the bracket fits.
The bracket out of the bead blaster and given a coat of primer.
We continued working on the front stabilizer brace. The lower bracket was drilled.
And fits on the small u-bolt. The tube was gradually ground until it fit onto the bracket.
Then the bracket was welded.
Here is the front stabilizer brace. After painting, it will get a wooden fairing.
Lower detail of the brace
Upper detail prior to drilling.
John Gaertner had begun the machine work on the front stick pedestals.
And fellow Jenny restorer Phil Mintari had some new axle shoes cast out of bronze. Once the machine work has been finished, the casting will be ready to use. The bungee cords wrap around this shoe. You'll see this piece in action on this blog soon.