Curtiss Jenny Restoration

Welcome! We hope you enjoy following the restoration process of a 1918 Curtiss JN4D Jenny. Once completed, the aeroplane will be flown and displayed at the Candler Field Museum in Williamson GA (30 miles south of Atlanta). You can contact me below by clicking on "VIEW MY PROFILE"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Peachtree City, Georgia, United States

Sunday, February 14, 2010

Front stick pedestal casting

I thought you might like to see the machine work John Gaertner is doing at Blue Swallow Aircraft. He bored the front stick pedestal to a dimension of 1.25 +- 0.002" using an adjustable boring head and carbide cutting tool.



In this picture, john did the rough cut of the lightening holes on the back of the casting, using a roughing mill for aluminum. He came back with a different mill to smooth the opening, prior to finish sanding on a spindle sander.



Here's the casting. The boss at the top will be drilled and tapped to fit the Winkler Oiler.



Thought you might like seeing this process. I'm fascinated by it. I'm a frustrated machinist and perhaps one day, I can create the results you see here. But for now, I'll leave the machining to the professionals like John.

More soon

Brian

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home