Curtiss Jenny Restoration

Welcome! We hope you enjoy following the restoration process of a 1918 Curtiss JN4D Jenny. Once completed, the aeroplane will be flown and displayed at the Candler Field Museum in Williamson GA (30 miles south of Atlanta). You can contact me below by clicking on "VIEW MY PROFILE"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Peachtree City, Georgia, United States

Friday, January 15, 2010

Miscellaneous stuff

John Gaertner at Blue Swallow Aircraft finished machining the rudder bar castings. I can't wait until I can bolt them to the floorboards and really make some aeroplane noises in the shop!



Notice that both of the "legs" of each rudder casting has four lightening holes, but one "leg" is longer than the other. This is the rear rudder pedestal. It is the shorter of the two.



This is the front casting. John does nice work and I would highly recommend him.



I'm about to send the 26 X 4 rims out for re-spoking, but before I do, I wanted to address the bearing issue. When I put these wheels on a 1 1/2 in. axle, there was lots of play - the bearings were worn out. So, with a screwdriver, I pried the old bearings out.



MSC makes a 1 1/2 in. ID bronze flange bearing that will fit the rims with minimal machining. Next time I go to work, I'll get this bearing and post the info here.



Been busy moving tools, parts and machinery into the hangar, so minimal work has been done on the fuselage. I did install the tail with the help of some of the family.






Frank Schelling was kind enough to loan me a spare step, so when Brighton asked me where it went, I had to show him. The step belonged on the other side, but Brighton didn't want to hear it. He wanted it on this side and that was that. Kids.....



Randy Charles, from Wilmington OH sent me pictures of the neat scale Jenny he is building.



Randy writes:

Hello Brian!

I have been following you blog on the Jenny for the last year or so. This last summer I decided to build a large scale Jenny to fly. I wanted something that I could just cruise around with, stable and just do the occasional loop or stall turn. The drawings were done in July from a three view and construction began in November. Just to try and put this into scale for you, from the station 1 position to the farthest point on the rudder is 105 inches. Power is planned to be from either a 58cc or 80cc engine according to the final weight. Span on the Jenny will be 14 feet

As you can see from the photos I have tried to stay as close to scale construction as I could. I put a scale on the fuse last night and with the engine, tail group, servos, balancing weight and receiver it came to 25lbs. It took me nearly two weeks to get the landing gear brackets and peachbasket built. I had some difficulty trying to weld the thin 20 gage steel so most everything is brazed together. Well anyway, just thought you might like to see my project.

Randy Charles www.alien-aircraft.com



Till next time,

Brian

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home